I think I have officially replaced every hose ever made for my LR4. Exhausting search for my latest leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'15 LR4 and either through routine maintenance or necessity because it blew, I honestly can't think of any other coolant related hose that hasn't been replaced. The latest and I believe last (even according to my dealer) is this one. The hard ABS plastic section between the two large silicone hoses cracked horizontally and has created a slow leak. It's baffled me and the dealer for some time as it wasn't a more "visible" hose/leak and the leaking wasn't instantly happening. If I let the truck sit overnight sometimes there wouldn't be any leak. I suspect it might have been pooling on the inside of the skid plate, but I'm not sure on that one. Well, at least that one is solved.
91ebd2be-8273-44de-b156-5275c7b0c79b.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 3.28.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 3.24.36 PM.png

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be a good part to make out of metal instead of plastic.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be a good part to make out of metal instead of plastic.
You are so spot on. There are so many parts that should be done that way but how else can you keep the aftermarket alive? All kidding aside so many parts are so poorly designed.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hard ABS plastic section between the two large silicone hoses cracked horizontally and has created a slow leak.
What's your mileage again? Asking as one with a 21k miles '16 wondering (and concerned) if these weak links in the coolant (ing) system only wear-out or might even age-out ? I'm occasionally driving in some real hot weather lately, and keeping an eye out for leaks..so far nothing.

Anyone experience leaks or a blow-out at lower mileage?

LandRobert

Reaction score
Yeah, these engines have very complex coolant circuits. All possible leaking spots that come to mind:
-Front and rear crossover pipes (sure you replaced those already)
-Water pump housing to engine block (bolts get corroded very easily here, need to tap the holes again when replacing these gaskets and install new bolts)
-Oil cooler pipe
-Thermostat housing
-Engine coolant sensor 2 housing
-Supercharger electric coolant pump
-Leaky bleed plugs
-An of course all the hoses
-Transmission fluid cooler
-Engine oil cooler

And then since we don´t have a dipstick we can´t check that easily if coolant if mixing with engine oil, you can vacuum out a sample every now and then.

My front crossover pipe started to fail at about 10k miles.

Vacuum test for the coolant system should be -0.8 bar or -12 psi for 1 minute.
1690564962354.png

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front crossover pipe started to fail at about 10k miles.
Lowest miles I've heard. Some around 40-50K. Oh well.
Thanks for the punch list and the (nightmarish) diagram. Could it get any more "complex"?...and then, to keep it interesting, throw in some inferior parts that could cost an engine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72