2014 LR4 SCV6 - oil leaking from vacuum pump and upper timing cover on passenger side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, looks like my LR4 is running into some of the expected SDV6 oil leak issues. I've had spotting on the driveway, from the passenger side of the skid plate. Took it to the dealer and they said the vacuum pump is leaking and upon further inspection the upper timing cover is leaking as well. They recommended resealing both sides. Sigh. I'd love to get your thoughts on the quotes I was provided from the north Austin dealer (I am in process of getting a quote from a local indy shop).

Anything else I should suggest for the SCV6 while they're in there for this job?
I'm not dying to spend more money, but if it's a critical issue area with these cars I'd like to know my options.

Vacuum pump
- $967 parts ($883 for pump itself)
- $295 labor
= $1342 total

Upper timing cover
- $1035 parts
- $4546 labor
= $5667 total

In a few forum here searches I saw upper timing cover jobs were in the 5-6k range. I love the car and am ok to pay a fair price for the job to be done right, I'm hoping the indy quotes are a chunk lower. Here are pics that the dealer shared of the leaks.

Attachments

• image_0 (2).jpeg
    image_0 (2).jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 124
  • image_0 (1).jpeg
    image_0 (1).jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 115
  • image_0.jpeg
    image_0.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 111

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First quote from indy shop is ~$500 total for vacuum pump, and $2k - $2.5k for the valve cover. They can do the vacuum pump today, but not the valve cover till next month. I'm leaning towards getting the vacuum pump done (which they says has the potential to leak the most since it's lower) and then find time for the valve cover job next month.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch - Guess I'd ask:

- how many hours of work is it
- what do you charge per hour
- what do the parts cost

I'm guessing on the V6 that the supercharge has to come off? $2K at $150/hr is 13hr 20min; why does it take this long? I'm sure others on this thread can chime in on that question and then we can assist in figuring what's a reasonable cost... I know my local Indy said the timing chains (on a V8) was about 18hrs; I use that to determine cost!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes. I would get a second opinion and I would also have a look myself. How bad be the leaks?

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the vacuum pump installed and am back home from the indy shop. They knocked it out in a little less than hour and charged no labor, just ~$500 for parts + oil.

If anything they think it's barely a seep on the timing cover on the passenger side, or possibly residual oil spray from what was coming off the vacuum pump while driving. They did not think any action was needed atm for the timing cover. Thought was to fix the vacuum pump leak and monitor from there. When the time comes they think it'll be around 8 hours labor (so $1200 for labor and $800 for parts) and about $2000 total.

Feeling a sigh of relief for now. I plan to clean up the engine area and just keep an eye out for leaks from the timing area.

Last edited:

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The timing chain concern is for V8 only right?
Thinking ahead of what else I might want to have replaced whenever I do get the timing seal redone

To answer Ktm, the leaks were considered seeps and not leaks by the mechanic. They did indicate that neither of these two place typically turn into heavy leaks.

Last edited:

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're pulling the SC for the valve covers, I'd probably freshen up the coolant system if you haven't done that yet. I'd expect the coilpacks to have to come off to remove the valve covers, so maybe do spark plugs?

HuskerBred

Reaction score
I wish I had seen this before you replaced the vacuum pump. It's literally a 15 minute job with a $100-200 part. I bought a vacuum pump from the company that makes them for LR and installed it myself after my indy shop wanted to do it for $1100.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least I got to watch the indy mechanic do it, once I’ve seen it done I usually have the confidence to diy it in the future. At 500 bucks it wasn’t dirt cheap, but was way better than the dealer quote. Plus the mechanic squeezed me in and knocked it out same day. That was really nice.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had seen this before you replaced the vacuum pump. It's literally a 15 minute job with a $100-200 part. I bought a vacuum pump from the company that makes them for LR and installed it myself after my indy shop wanted to do it for $1100.

Did you even have to drain the oil ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72