I think I have officially replaced every hose ever made for my LR4. Exhausting search for my latest leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your mileage again? Asking as one with a 21k miles '16 wondering (and concerned) if these weak links in the coolant (ing) system only wear-out or might even age-out ? I'm occasionally driving in some real hot weather lately, and keeping an eye out for leaks..so far nothing.

Anyone experience leaks or a blow-out at lower mileage?
Just turned 80K.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, these engines have very complex coolant circuits. All possible leaking spots that come to mind:
-Front and rear crossover pipes (sure you replaced those already)
-Water pump housing to engine block (bolts get corroded very easily here, need to tap the holes again when replacing these gaskets and install new bolts)
-Oil cooler pipe
-Thermostat housing
-Engine coolant sensor 2 housing
-Supercharger electric coolant pump
-Leaky bleed plugs
-An of course all the hoses
-Transmission fluid cooler
-Engine oil cooler

And then since we don´t have a dipstick we can´t check that easily if coolant if mixing with engine oil, you can vacuum out a sample every now and then.

My front crossover pipe started to fail at about 10k miles.

Vacuum test for the coolant system should be -0.8 bar or -12 psi for 1 minute.
View attachment 23635
I don't understand why it has to be so complex though. If the answer was "because it's so bulletproof" I might buy that...but it's not bulletproof. Quite the opposite. Is this just a case of over-engineering?

LandRobert

Reaction score
The worst here is that you don’t usually get a heads up on your insufficient coolant. In my case, the expansion tank had some coolant visible in it, the engine temp reading on the dash was normal, however, it was missing about a gallon and a half and I would have never noticed, but thanks to some research and OCD I managed to replace the parts soon enough. Some people just get the engine overheated and head gaskets blown in the middle of God knows where.

I guess some components do actually age out…

LandRobert

Reaction score
I don't understand why it has to be so complex though. If the answer was "because it's so bulletproof" I might buy that...but it's not bulletproof. Quite the opposite. Is this just a case of over-engineering?
The supercharger does add some complexity to the cooling system, far from bulletproof, I don’t understand how JLR just let this pass,
1690586402618.png

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The supercharger does add some complexity to the cooling system, far from bulletproof, I don’t understand how JLR just let this pass,
View attachment 23636
It's funny and sad all at the same time Magal Engineering would show the Land Rover as a sort of badge of honor. Then again, they are probably designing the system as per the spec sheet.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny and sad all at the same time Magal Engineering would show the Land Rover as a sort of badge of honor. Then again, they are probably designing the system as per the spec sheet.

Seems unusual that they 1) connect the supercharger cooling loop to the regular cooling system and 2) put two air-to-water charge coolers on top of the hot engine.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score

no it's stupidity.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems unusual that they 1) connect the supercharger cooling loop to the regular cooling system and 2) put two air-to-water charge coolers on top of the hot engine.
Wouldn't you like to ask the design engineer?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72