2014 LR4 Test Drive Review - LR4 1st Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I have an "Intent to Order" as well then. The way my buddy at the dealership told me was that the next 2 weeks were the ordering window.

He also said that the Land Rover ordering process is very vague and not 100% dependable. If you have ever ordered a BMW that process seems to be spot on as they give you a log-in to be able to monitor the process of your vehicle and everything. With Land Rover they just give general steps of the process - Order Placed, Vehicle Build Started, Vehicle Leaving Plant, Vehicle Leaving Port, Vehicle Arriving at Port, Vehicle On Truck kinda thing. I think I might have missed one but this gives you the vagueness. He also said that the date of delivery is not 100% as they had a customers Evoque get delivered over 2 weeks after the date they were stated.

Yes, the heavy duty package is the reason for ordering as I found the exact vehicle I want with everything but HD and Black Pkg in TN. I find it very interesting how most of these vehicles are ordered by the dealers.

I also find it interesting how few Ebony interiors there are. I will say that I am a little worried about the Ebony making the interior feel small but I just can't bring myself to go with the Arabica/Almond with the black dog and muddy mountain bike gear. I did get the wood interior to try and lighten things up.

I do know white will not show most dirts/road grime/tree scratches as my first JKU was white and even with the "pin stripes" was a 6ft car. So this will be good.

Corris grey had a lot more metallic to it than I thought it would. Had a really deep color with the amount of glitter in it and was very shinny. I think it would make the vehicle "blend in" in a parking lot but it was very pretty and with the metallic black paint of the RRS was beautiful. I have attached a picture to try and add substance.
That's the big thing about Corris, it's metallic and I do not want that type of paint. It looks beautiful though, but not easy to touch up.

I would agree that the ordering process is a bit vague at times. I ordered in March 2013 and they said my truck would be ready in July 2013. The dealer would send me monthly updates with a potential date. Then, out of the blue, I got an e-mail it had arrived, almost a month early. So, sometimes they are early and sometimes they are late. With the availability issues on the 2014 that some of you 2014 guys mention, plan for the late arrival perhaps. Either way, very exciting.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the big thing about Corris, it's metallic and I do not want that type of paint. It looks beautiful though, but not easy to touch up.

I would agree that the ordering process is a bit vague at times. I ordered in March 2013 and they said my truck would be ready in July 2013. The dealer would send me monthly updates with a potential date. Then, out of the blue, I got an e-mail it had arrived, almost a month early. So, sometimes they are early and sometimes they are late. With the availability issues on the 2014 that some of you 2014 guys mention, plan for the late arrival perhaps. Either way, very exciting.

Took almost 4 months for you to get yours built? Wow, that is certainly not what I am expecting. 2 Months max is what I have been quoted, 6-8 Weeks...... :frown:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I have them ordering a Bronze w/ Almond for me. I am holding off (for the moment) on the Black Package. I just don't know if I want to commit to the factory roof rails yet.

Have you looked to see if this is for real and still available?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-...aca5ac974&item=321222527348&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Per TOPIx it has everything BUT the vision assist (do a quick search here for peoples issues) and has black interior...I'd think there's deal to be had on this if it is still sitting in inventory....

Thanks, rovernot. But since this is my "dream" vehicle I am going to make sure it has what I want. The black interior won't work for me (though it looks sharp!). So I know it will cost me more (fortunately for me that's not an issue as I would have gone for a Lexus LX if I could get past the way they still haven't done better with the back half of the interior.) The difficult thing for me will be the wait but I need to get over that. I wouldn't really be able to enjoy the capabilities of this vehicle that much until May or June.

I'm still debating on the color. I saw a white one today and, even though I seem to be in a white rut, it does handle dirt and reflections really well and, especially with the Black Package like epiclr it is not your typical "white" vehicle!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took almost 4 months for you to get yours built? Wow, that is certainly not what I am expecting. 2 Months max is what I have been quoted, 6-8 Weeks...... :frown:
I looked back at my e-mails to make sure and I did not remember correctly.

I ordered on March 22, 2013 with a potential delivery date of June 16, 2013. Every few weeks my sales guy e-mailed me and told me where it was in the pipeline report. The date was brought in a few days to June 12, 2013. My LR4 arrived early on May 30, 2013.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked with my sales guy yesterday. He has been with RR for 13 years and seems to have good contacts within corporate. He said that any delays are apparently due to availability of the SCV6 engine. It is used in the RR and RRS and other Jaguar vehicles and they are having a hard time keeping up with the production of those engines. Of course I quipped, "How about if y'all fix this by letting us use the 8-cyl?" ;-)

I have not heard that the once-per-month order day has occurred for January yet. It usually occurs "in the 20's" so it should come up soon. That should give them more insight into availability. But right now he is hesitant to promise anything before May. I have spoken with another dealership and they are thinking early April.

BTW, mine would need to come into LA which probably adds a fair bit of time to the shipping. epiclr4, I think yours will be coming into an East Coast port, correct?

Last edited:

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked with my sales guy yesterday. He has been with RR for 13 years and seems to have good contacts within corporate. He said that any delays are apparently due to availability of the SCV6 engine. It is going into the Evoque and RRS and they are having a hard time keeping up with the production of those engines. Of course I quipped, "How about if y'all fix this by letting us use the 8-cyl?" ;-)

I have not heard that the once-per-month order day has occurred for January yet. It usually occurs "in the 20's" so it should come up soon. That should give them more insight into availability. But right now he is hesitant to promise anything before May. I have spoken with another dealership and they are thinking early April.

BTW, mine would need to come into LA which probably adds a fair bit of time to the shipping. epiclr4, I think yours will be coming into an East Coast port, correct?
So the Evoque will carry the SCV6?

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine should come in on the east coast as I live in Va. Hopefully this makes the wait a little shorter.

The shortage on the engine is what I also read over in the UK LR forums. People have seen quite a wait there.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no. My mistake. I'll edit my post.
That would be awesome if it did. I had an evoque as a loaner and loved the look and feel and would consider buying one for my wife. the only thing that i could not stand was the sound of the 4 cylinder engine and the lack of power. I hope they will offer the 6 cylinder some day

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM