2015 Land Rover LR4 HSE- Thinking about buying, does the engine sound right? https://youtu.be/wqjUb-qWbxE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:). The ‘04+ XJs are significantly under rated. Truly, the best car I’ve ever owned or driven. And there have been a lot of cars. It’s not in my signature block but I also have an ‘02 S-type R.

renli3d

Reaction score
That sounds almost exactly like my MY16 LR4 except mine has a louder tick caused by a bad supercharger coupler. That sounds to me like a perfectly running SCV6 and I've listened to every engine video posted for the SCV6. Chain slap has a different sound that doesn't follow a perfect rhythm and is most apparent at startup. The SCV6 is known to be a little louder engine too but you should not hear it running inside the cabin.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:). The ‘04+ XJs are significantly under rated. Truly, the best car I’ve ever owned or driven. And there have been a lot of cars. It’s not in my signature block but I also have an ‘02 S-type R.

My brother was fanatical on the XJRs and owned a few nice examples. Then he stumbled across a good bargain CLS 55 AMG and it was game over for his Jag obsession.

Jag XJR & CLS 55 AMG

back to regular programming. Yeah that V6 sounds ok.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CLS55 AMG has a better body design but the Jag looked funner to drive even though it was significantly slower.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can see in the video just how much more sophisticated the big Merc's chassis and suspension are. To be fair JLR simply didn't have the money to create anything better. Also that is a pretty old Jag chassis. I imagine the next gen may have been better?

Anyhow that supercharged Merc engine was a beast. 516 ft lbs torque.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Jags but you can really see/feel/experience that they didn't have the $$$ or the engineering prowess of the Germans when developing their cars. What is surprising is how well the LR3 came out although it did need to be reworked (LR4) to sort all of the quirks. Then they ended up with the best vehicle they ever produced (LR4). Land Rover must have sucked up all the R&D dollars.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That car reminds me of the Road **** episode where they put a blown V8 engine in a Jag. That exact make and model was at my indy when I was scoping them out. I love that car for the engine sticking out of the hood. It has fly traps on it and looks powerful.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Jags but you can really see/feel/experience that they didn't have the $$$ or the engineering prowess of the Germans when developing their cars. What is surprising is how well the LR3 came out although it did need to be reworked (LR4) to sort all of the quirks. Then they ended up with the best vehicle they ever produced (LR4). Land Rover must have sucked up all the R&D dollars.
Probably did if sales/revenue proportion has anything to do with it:
2016 was a record year of sorts for JLR- 521.5K total units world wide (first MY over 500K)- 427.1K LR, 94.5K Jag. 82% and 18%.
2023 same trend on less sales JLR 420.5K total units - 356K LR, 64K Jag. 85% and 15%

That said they share an awful lot...mainly powertrains, also a lot of tech. Jags EV car was less of a win than the D5 (being polite), while the new Defender is quite a win.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The writing was on the wall for Jaguar. The special edition "performance" sedans were not refined enough to handle the German beasts and the Luxury cruisers were nowhere near the refinement/durability level of Lexus. The got hammered on both ends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM