Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually hope it stays the same! :) I'd settle for getting rid of the "LR5" badging, calling it a "Discovery 5", and maybe bringing the TD to the US.

Like the article says, that's the very early testing and will likely change. I am certainly not opposed to making it lighter and have a bit of carry over from the engineering of the new RR, but I sure has heck hope it won't be so soft in design with that silly front!!! I thought it was confirmed they would be going "back to their Defender roots"?

We shall see! :)

Last edited:

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give me the diesel, the d5 badge and perhaps a expedition option or something (HD lockers, increased height, ability to override certain suspension options, 18 inch wheels with 65 profile tires, swing tire carrier or increased spaced underneath vehicle to handle spare).

But please wait until 2016 as i just bought my current lr4 6 months ago...yes, i am selfish.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give me the diesel, the d5 badge and perhaps a expedition option or something (HD lockers, increased height, ability to override certain suspension options, 18 inch wheels with 65 profile tires, swing tire carrier or increased spaced underneath vehicle to handle spare).

But please wait until 2016 as i just bought my current lr4 6 months ago...yes, i am selfish.
Hey bromhead,

If it means waiting till 2016 to get the options you describe above, then I'll definitely be happy waiting! I agree with you 100% - those are the options I want before I see the Discovery taking the "soft" design of the new RR and likely RRS.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't change much.

I'd like to see a panorama roof.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, too, hope they don't soften the LR4, but I will say reducing the weight and adding the 8 speed box really helps the on road experience. They said they would continue with some sort of rugged model, maybe that will be the new Defender, although i'm not too keen on the artsy fartsy DC100...

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,
Other than briefly looking at it online, I haven't checked out the new RR. Beyond my budget, but have you checked out some of the specs? Like the old RR, the clearance is pretty impressive.

Ground clearance (raised): 9.5 inches vs 11.6 (LR4/RR)
Wading depth: 27.6 vs 35.4
the approach, break over and departure angles are similar (slight edge to LR4)
I dont, however see an option for a rear locker, I wonder if its included?

But I agree, for the most part, we dont get Land rovers in the US anymore, just RR's :). But thats been the direction since 1997 when they stopped selling NAS Defenders.

I remember reading the old disco web site a few years after I got my D1. People were unhappy with traction control and the difficulty regarding repairing the D2 in the field
LR3 brought us the loss of solid axles, ground clearance, etc
LR4 brought us a RR in disguise and our lovely 19 inch wheels...

The "soft" design is certainly the direction they are going, and if I could have bought a new Defender, I would have, but I can tell you, it would have been the wrong choice for me. I simply cant beat the semi soft LR4 for the roadtrip I took to Tahoe over the summer (san diego isnt close) or the half dozen ski trips I have taken this season...or even driving in the sand, and keeping up with a rubicon, in Anza Borrega. Perhaps its not just my belly getting soft, but my needs for a car as well!

But, as countless others have stated previously, it would be so easy for them to just add an option pack to give us a bit back of what we are missing.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, too, hope they don't soften the LR4, but I will say reducing the weight and adding the 8 speed box really helps the on road experience. They said they would continue with some sort of rugged model, maybe that will be the new Defender, although i'm not too keen on the artsy fartsy DC100...
I agree.... It would be fine to take the new RR approach and decrease the weight while maintaining the integrity of the vehicle. If the new Defender comes to the states, depending on the design, it will be tough for me to stick with a Discovery - though I do need the 7 seats.

The DC100 should never be made into production - yuck!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,
Other than briefly looking at it online, I haven't checked out the new RR. Beyond my budget, but have you checked out some of the specs? Like the old RR, the clearance is pretty impressive.

Ground clearance (raised): 9.5 inches vs 11.6 (LR4/RR)
Wading depth: 27.6 vs 35.4
the approach, break over and departure angles are similar (slight edge to LR4)
I dont, however see an option for a rear locker, I wonder if its included?

But I agree, for the most part, we dont get Land rovers in the US anymore, just RR's :). But thats been the direction since 1997 when they stopped selling NAS Defenders.

I remember reading the old disco web site a few years after I got my D1. People were unhappy with traction control and the difficulty regarding repairing the D2 in the field
LR3 brought us the loss of solid axles, ground clearance, etc
LR4 brought us a RR in disguise and our lovely 19 inch wheels...

The "soft" design is certainly the direction they are going, and if I could have bought a new Defender, I would have, but I can tell you, it would have been the wrong choice for me. I simply cant beat the semi soft LR4 for the roadtrip I took to Tahoe over the summer (san diego isnt close) or the half dozen ski trips I have taken this season...or even driving in the sand, and keeping up with a rubicon, in Anza Borrega. Perhaps its not just my belly getting soft, but my needs for a car as well!

But, as countless others have stated previously, it would be so easy for them to just add an option pack to give us a bit back of what we are missing.
Hey bromhead,

The 2013 RR is brilliant - it definitely stepped up as far as engineering and design (the mechanics part of it) and they kept the ability to go off road quite nicely. I love everything except the roundish/soft styling in the front and some of the sort of "blingy" attributes.

Beside that, it's awesome.

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99