3.0 SCV6 P0089 code - anyone got a fault finding process to follow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pagoda

Reaction score
I have a 2016 SCV6 with around 65K miles. Runs perfectly well; no performance issues, but the CEL has come on. The only relevant code showing on the IID is P0089-64 (EC) fuel pressure regulator performance, etc,. When cleared it reappears within 30 mins or so of normal driving, but has also cleared itself from time to time.

Digging around quite a bit on the internet it seems the LP FP in the fuel tank could be the culprit, but before I embark on ordering a new unit to the tune of ~$300, plus what looks like an unpleasant job dropping the tank, I wanted to ask if anyone had advice on proper diagnostics/steps to take to properly identify the fault. (I read about a software update, and I can give that a go with the help of GAP but I don’t hold much hope it’ll have much of an effect. The vehicle had the recall for the fuel tank gasket done a good year or so back; they may have updated the software then but I have no idea).

Given that there’s no performance impact I’m tempted to leave it and see what happens but grateful for any advice/pointers.

Cheers.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search P0089-64 and there are several threads discussing. I believe the general consensus is in-tank fuel pump, but there is also a tsb for a software update. I get the code anytime temps are below 40 degrees, but no other time; no performance issues

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM