5 New Compromotives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, epiclr4, now I am curious! I am wondering if I need to get new wheels/tires from my (arriving in June) Nara Bronze LR4. I don't plan on doing anything but very moderate off road until September when I will go to the Ouray, Silverton and Telluride area of Colorado and then over to Moab.

Should I get wheels like this? Are the necessary? Why not get them straight from the manufacturer? Are there other 18" options?

The grey would look great on your Nara Bronze.

With that said, I absolutely think the 18" wheels are the best and most important modification if you plan to do any off roading. Don't get me wrong, the 19" wheels are fine, I've done plenty of off roading in them when I had my 2011, but the options are just far greater with the 18" wheels. I was amazed at the capability of a good AT tire - it makes all the difference. Plus, there are various terrains in which I wouldn't venture to without having a strong sidewall and plenty of chunky tread. The areas you want to go to would be fine with 19" tires, but I do suggest you bring 1-2 extras, as I know parts of where you describe and it can be get a bit sharp.

There are several folks on this forum who have other 18" wheels in which they either custom drilled or used the 30mm spacers to fit their LR4. I think this is fine, but I personally wanted the Compomotives because they fit so well and I like the look. These are the only 18" wheels that clear the calipers without modifying them or using spacers.

You can definitely buy directly from Compomotive like I did, but it seems as though ExPat is giving a good deal.

I think @Finlayforprez makes some good call outs. Same callouts that everyone makes in reference to the 19's. This isn't to say that an 18" wheel/tire combo won't get sliced open as well. We had plenty do this the other weekend when I sliced open an stock conti.

There are ton's of more options for an 18" wheel and they are cheaper than the 19" wheel's. Just up to what you want to do with the vehicle.

The only 2 options that are truly out there it seems is to do the Compomotive wheels or the stock 18" LR3 wheels with 30mm spacers. I have been searching and searching and these are ultimately the only options. I would say there is a $1,000-$1,500 price difference between the two options. Compomotive's being the more expensive option.

Just something to think about in regards to how far off the beaten trail you want to take your LR4.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank's for the Bumps. This set-up is awesome and really does make a big difference. My wife is starting to hassle me so I'll drop the price to an even $2,500 shipped to you in the US.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank's for the Bumps. This set-up is awesome and really does make a big difference. My wife is starting to hassle me so I'll drop the price to an even $2,500 shipped to you in the US.

Kevin, are you willing to part this out? People with a 2014 have to use a different TPMS than the 315Mhz.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin, are you willing to part this out? People with a 2014 have to use a different TPMS than the 315Mhz.

I would have the same issue as mine will be a 2014. I really don't need these until August. Heck, I won't even have my truck until June! Sent you a PM.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! Ei sent a pm to Expat. If you are interested in these, epiclr4, then go for it. It is still a bit early for me to be getting my head around all this. You have a much better sense of what you need. I have plenty of time.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! Expat. If you are interested in these then go for it. It is still a bit early for me to be getting my head around all this. You have a much better sense of what you need. I have plenty of time.

Ha, I am still undecided on these. I wanted black ones and I am currently in limbo about my LR4. So these have just been a carrot hanging out on a tree branch.

These would look mighty good on your Corris Grey if you didn't get the Black Package (I don't remember what you decided). I think hands down if you got these, better/larger AT tires and some sliders you would be pretty set based on my 1 weekend experience in mine. Not many places you have said you would like to go that you would have any issues then.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, I am still undecided on these. I wanted black ones and I am currently in limbo about my LR4. So these have just been a carrot hanging out on a tree branch.

These would look mighty good on your Corris Grey if you didn't get the Black Package (I don't remember what you decided). I think hands down if you got these, better/larger AT tires and some sliders you would be pretty set based on my 1 weekend experience in mine. Not many places you have said you would like to go that you would have any issues then.

I ended up going with Nara Bronze rather than Corris Grey. The bronze just felt more "Colorado" than the grey. Better match for the dirt. ;-) My wife didn't want the black pack because, being a LUX, the door handles are bronze like the rest of the exterior and she prefers that.

Back to the wheels. To be honest no wheel color is going to be a perfect match for the bronze. The anthracite may be OK. But my modestly sized Yakima basket and LR ladder will both be black. And with the dark tint to the windows black wheels seem to be a better color match.

But I still need to do some research.

BTW, the problems with your LR4 have me concerned.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is as critical as you think for all the color matching. My truck is Indus Silver, I painted my own Grille and Side vents in Santorini Black, put Voyager Rock Sliders with side steps in a powdercoated flat black. My wheels are in Anthracite Grey. I really have had tons of compliments of the whole thing.

This is a pretty crappy picture (pre-rock sliders), but you can see the Anthracite Grey wheels are already pretty dark.

Attachments

• LR4.jpg
    LR4.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Disco sand.jpg
    Disco sand.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 32

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is as critical as you think for all the color matching. My truck is Indus Silver, I painted my own Grille and Side vents in Santorini Black, put Voyager Rock Sliders with side steps in a powdercoated flat black. My wheels are in Anthracite Grey. I really have had tons of compliments of the whole thing.

This is a pretty crappy picture (pre-rock sliders), but you can see the Anthracite Grey wheels are already pretty dark.

Wow. If you had not told me I would have assumed from the pictures that yours were black. Those are dark which I like. So the look would be OK.

My hesitation right now is 1) I don't even have my truck yet and, 2) the first task for the truck will be a 5K miles road trip on pavement for which I would simply use the stock wheels/tires. I just don't know if I want to take the plunge until August and I wouldn't expect expat to wait that long.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9