Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you don't over tighten them when putting them back on! Note also that bolts have a tendency to swell over time so rather than being 22mm they end up being closer to 23mm... I believe the bolts are steel with a secondary stainless steel layer to look nice! The underlying steel core seems to corrode over time hence the expansion to 23mm.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
But in the end, over tight lug nuts are not the fault of the vehicle, they are the fault of some ***** with an air gun.

The days of "professional" mechanics knowing more than ourselves are long over, and it was probably never that way to start with...
That's why we here on this group do as much of the work ourselves as possible.

Just a few of my favorite recollections of "professional" mechanics being morons over the years.
I have lots more and I know you do as well !

Probably 1975 or so. The British Leyland dealership mechanic, who I routinely spoke with and who really thought he was good, did not properly attach the distributor cap on my Austin Marina.

About that same time. Tire shop snapped a wheel lug stud off that same car and claimed the lug nuts were frozen on. Never mind that I had the wheel off the previous day and everything was ok.

In the late 1980's. It would appear that the Grand Rapids, MI Acura dealership never actually performed any of the routine maintenance at the routine service visits. They just held it for a day and took my money. Yes, I can prove it.

In the mid 1990's, the Trooper and those over tight lugs.

About that same time. After specifically telling the dealership exactly where the problem was on the Isuzu Trooper alarm system, I had to physically make several extra trips to the dealership, get the mechanic and show him where the problem was - keeping in mind the dealership was over an hour away each way.

In the late 1990's the dealership could not figure out why the Maxima would not start. They gave up and told me to go away.
I fixed it for less than 50 cents. it was a rubber spacer grommet that limited brake pedal travel that controlled the safety interlocks during starting.

In 2021, Local Rover dealership messed something up on the gas tank flange recall. It was fine before they touched it and (because the vehicle is away at school so much) I am still trying to find the issue. Next step will be to purchase a smoke machine and do a smoke test.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you don't over tighten them when putting them back on! Note also that bolts have a tendency to swell over time so rather than being 22mm they end up being closer to 23mm... I believe the bolts are steel with a secondary stainless steel layer to look nice! The underlying steel core seems to corrode over time hence the expansion to 23mm.

One of the reasons I love having my Defender steelies and the accompanying LR129123 Land Rover lug nuts. Bonus is they allow me to run the dorky Land Rover plastic hubcap.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, I like the 1up bike rack as well (as well as the bike on it), have the same on mine!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The second one on the post above (the green Rocky Altitude) is still my current trail/enduro bike. I also built a hardtail Canfield that I've really just been using to ride to work 2 or 3 days a week.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's a Kona Honzo Carbon, third one in here, borrowing a friends bike rack! Likewise built at home!

1694448370014.png

1694448834529.png

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had this happen to one of mine at 105k so I replaced them all with the same OEM lugs. They must have gotten them from the same place as those damn Ford ones.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72