6 weeks old LR3 - check engine light number 4, should I contact a Lawyer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

appletigger

Reaction score
dtmelm - I purchased mine from Land Rover of Thousand Oaks.

By the way, I contacted Lemon Law Lawyer yesterday. I'm going to send all of my repair invoices and see how it goes.

appletigger

Reaction score
I just want to post a update info...
It's been a week since I took my LR3 to the dealer. Meanwhile, I contacted a Lemon Law Firm and it is in process. I called my service advisor today and guess what.... They're still working on it. I'm not sure what they are working on, but he said they're working on it. According to him, they think it's wire problem, but not certain. So they are checking out the wiring. They have no clue what to do with this "Check Engine" light... My guess is it won't be fixed any time soon..... Meanwhile, I'm stuck with this "Nissan Murano" rental...

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lemon law is no free lunch. These guys leverage these laws, reasonable or not, for profit. Read the fine print, you could be holding the bag of lemons at the end of the day.

This Rover left the UK passing Q tests. So either something happened between there and delivery to cause the issue, or the problem is intermittent requiring something external to trigger it (virbration, temperature, etc.) or the ECU's program has a time delay before reporting the error outside of the Q test window (which would be strange).

It's pretty easy, but time consuming to take the ECU plug and check all of the sensors on the engine manually. Some require a scope to test, others just a volt-ohm meter. They are probably not used to doing that in this day of get codes, get parts, get fixed, get coffee. It could well be a wiring harness issue or power supply issue, which is what I suspected earlier. like damaged or faulty harness/connector, faulty fuse panel supply to ECU, bad or loose engine or ECU ground.

Personally, to expedite resolution I would suggest they should call Land Rover NA to talk with an engineer about it, in parallel with their service working on the issue.

Maybe they have already done that. I don't know if LR has engineers as support staff to consult with dealerships. You'd think they would.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Shark on this one. Even if you hire a lawyer and file something using the lemon law, it's still going to come down to a negotiation. Better to do that without a lawyer involved initially. Keep it friendly, and you may get some satisfaction. Just make sure you document EVERYTHING you and they do. A lawyer should only advise your actions now. Don't let them take the lead in the discussions with LRNA or the dealer.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a free LR3 swap last year... I did it all with my winning personality and a good CSR at LRNA.

appletigger

Reaction score
I thought about dealing directly with LRNA. but on the other hand, what happends to this lemon, after getting a new replacement? They probably sell it to some other innocent customer, who has no idea this is a lemon. then he/she has to go through this painful experiences.... I think the only way to prevent LANA selling this lemon to someone else is filling a lemon law. Am I right? Little confused now... @.@:

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appletigger: You've got enough problems. Don't worry about the vehicle when you're done with it. Used cars come with their own risks, warranties and lemon laws.

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Range Rover Sport Website

This is from a Range Rover sport site I came across. With 1000's of vehicles being produced of a new model and new technologies, there are going to be issues coming up - that's the nature of motoring. Every manufacturer has them. The Engine Check diagnostic scans ~ 20 conditions around the O2 sensor alone. There are about 1000 codes in the standard OBDII library (engine, trans, airbag, cruise control, turbo system, etc.) and Rover probably has a bunch of custom outputs as well.

"Engine System Fault" Message

Some owners have experienced a false "Engine System Fault" message coming on, limiting the maximum speed to 50mph (80kph). It can be reset when you stop and remove the key, but will often recur. Typical is the experience of Angus Wade of the Czech Republic -- he has the had "engine system fault" message 7 times, having to stop and restart the vehicle to reset it. After two trips to the Czech dealer and one in England, the problem still persists.The false message is apparently caused by an over stressed gearbox or rear-end wiring loom that has been incorrectly fitted on the production line, resulting in bad connections. One dealer diagnosed it as faulty rear wiring looms off the catalytic converter, causing the engine to read faulty oxygen levels and hence the 'amber' engine light. It was fixed with a software download and tightening of 02 sensor connections. Another owner, Anita, reports "I was on your forum and read about the engine quitting. Well mine has happened 4 times on a LR3, which has the same components and chasis etc. as the Rover Sport. Anyway, they had replaced ground wires, but that didn't work. Now they have replace the ECU, so we will see if that works. Also, what is odd is that my LR3 was experincing fault problems and wouldn't turn on. (No cranking of the engine) Have you seen these problems? They replaced the fuel tank and these things still happened." If you experience this problem or know about the solution please email me.

"Check Engine" Light On
All the Rover models with the new Jaguar-derived engines (Sport, LR3/Discovery 3, 2006 & up Range Rover) seem to have a problem with the "check engine" light coming on randomly for no apparent reason. Sometimes oit goes off by itself and sometimes not. (For more details, see the Check Engine Light section on the RR III Common Symptoms and Fixes Page). In the case of the Sport, Christine reported her check engine light comes on for no reason and simultaneously disables the voice command, radio and nav. system. Initially it was thought by the dealer to be the cam sensor having signal interruptions because the harness was loose. However correcting this did not fix the problem -- the next day when the engine was started the nav sys., radio etc. were inoperable again. Currently (May 2006) she is waiting for a new ECM softwar update supposedly being checked out by the dealer before trying it on customer vehicles.

Meanwhile (August 2006) we keep getting a steady stream of reports about this problem, so no effective cure seems to have been found just yet. David Scott Levaton, for examplle, has been experiencing this problem for the past six months without the dealer being able to fix it. He reports that it comes on intermittently, and has affected the shifting. After reading the information here, he now attributes some of the other electrical problems he has been having (such as the nav system intermittently shutting down) to the same source.

G

garyferrer

This is just the begining of a long history of LR3 problems. Good luck.

S

schafari

Ironically, my 2005 Honda Odyssey has 5 recalls on it. It has been in the shop more than my "supposed to be unreliable, but frankly is reliable" 2005 LR3, which has only two recalls on it. Both have almost the same exact time on the market. Of course. . .there may be one or two more Odysseys on the road. . .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM