89 Range Rover backfire in MAF and Vapor Locking behavior in Arizona Summer Stop go t

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magmacu

Reaction score
I am up to my wits end with the old girl. She is my daily driver (yes I feed it 80 dollars of premium fuel every 2.5 days) for a 90 mile around trip 5 days a week.
I am having this same recurring issue the last two summers here in Arizona, when the temperature climbs above 90 degrees and it is worse when the temp gets above 100+. In stop and go traffic after coming off the freeway, the Rover will backfire (popping into the MAF) from a stop light and it will exhibit vapor locking behavior, and lack power. Eventually, it will some what smooth out once I get moving again. I have found that it is worse if I run into the bank or store for 5 to 10 minutes and try to restart. (If I go shopping for an hour and come back it fires up and runs fine). It is will barely idle, and it vapor locks, and has no power; I have to feather the throttle to keep it running; if I start to get on the coals at the same time it will barely get out of its own way, and it is popping into the MAF of the engine. I have also observed that in the driveway after my trip from the Mine, I rev it will cut out over 2500+ RPM and pop as well. I know this not good for the MAF.
I have replaced the AMP on the distributor, coolant temp sensor, fuel pump, coil, and plug wires. The fan clutch is good, and electric fan runs when the AC is turned on. I have also observed that when the fuel level is more than half a tank it is not as bad as well.
I have poured over the web, and I am sure it is caused by a concentrating of heat under the bonnet, and everything underneath just roasts. The fuel line runs next right exhaust manifold, but it has insulation wrap over it. People have suggested a clothspin, but I am sure that will not do it.
Any guidance would be greatly welcomed.
Bjorn

TRD4ME

Reaction score
If you are having backfires through the intake manifold, that is often a sign that either the timing is off and the air/fuel mixture is being ignited before the intake valve is completely closed or there is an issue with and intake valve not closing completely. I am not completely framiliar with an 89 Rover, I have a 95 with a 4.2GEMS motor and was having very similar problems. After changing the rotor/ cap in the distributor and replacing all the wires I realized it was not an ignition problem but a base mechanical problem. Hook up a vaccum guage to the intake and see if it flutters... That will tell you right away if you are having valvetrain issues.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Also depending on mileage, it could be a worn CAM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM