95 Classic Code 44

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A common problem on Range Rover Classics is an annoying tendency to stall when you come to a stop after a long run. Kevan Wiser repports his procedure for fixing this periodically recurring problem.

1) Be certain the flame trap isn't blocked--remove it and check the "mesh ***" It just unscrews from the top-front of the PS valve cover.
2) Check the T-piece that connects the vacuum hoses going to the plenum--it's the obvious one central-front behind the distributor.
3) Clean the stepper-motor plunger and seat. this is easy to do is usually what corrects the problem for Kevan. He uses "brake cleaner" and a toothbrush to clean the plunger assembly making sure to clean the head that has to mate w/ the seat. Then, he uses a rag dipped in brake cleaner to clean the seat itself. He has read that others have used a bit of white grease to lube the plunger, but he always just gives it a shot of what ever WD40 - like substance is handy. For more on the care and feeding of this pesky and temperamental component, see the section on the idle air bypass valve/stepper motor above.

I found this on Range Rover remedies, and here is what I (think) I need to do:

Since I'm getting the Code 44, I'll replace the left bank oxygen sensor. Problem is, is the left while facing the front of the vehicle or left from inside of the vehicle?

As far as the idle problem, I will try the solution I found above, but I don't know where exactly the flame trap is, and I'm having trouble figuring out where the stepper motor plunger and seat are. Hence, I ordered a workshop manual on Cd, but until then, I would really appreciate any directions to the locations of the parts, because I'm a newbie and don't want to screw anything up...

marcsumner

Reaction score
I know this is an (very) old thread but I recently had the same issue and solved it. I know others just have this problem and be looking for a solution, like I was, so I'm posting here with the hopes that it will save someone the headaches I just went through.

I had a rough idle, especially when warm, and it seemed to get worse the longer I drove the truck. There was a Moroccans misfire condition present, especially when cruising at highway speeds.

After going through distributor, amplifier, all wiring, vacuum hoses, removing and reinstalling the upper intake plenum, cleaning the MAF multiple times, new cap, rotor, spark plugs, wires, IAC valve (aka stepper motor), new ECT sensor, and cleaning every connection possible with contact cleaner I STILL hadn't remedied the problem.

That is, until I checked the alternator and found it turned a little too freely and voltage dropped a little too steeply when the brakes were activated. While swapping in a recently rebuilt alternator, I removed the old one and the wire to the back of the voltage regulator/rectifier SNAPPED OFF. It had obviously been barely holding on, and had little to no electrical connection, but looked to be intact. So I crimped and suffered on new connectors, hooked it up to the new alternator and voila! Oodles and runs smooth, with no Code 44!

Hope this helps someone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9ineballer