'95 Discovery keeps showing Code 45 after resetting codes! What to do Next???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

AtlasEngr

The Discovery stumbles a bit once in a while. Sometimes I can use it and it works magnificent. I looked at the OBD1 LED readout under the passenger seat and saw that code 45 is showing. I disconnect the harness, connected it after 5 seconds, turn ignition off and waited for the relay to let off. Then when I turned the ignition "ON", I got the same darn code 45 every time!

The previous owner replaced the passenger side O2 sensor (as well as the IAT, Coil, Wires, 'plugs Dist.cap, rotor, & fuel regulator) and I look at the connections and they all look good. I checked voltage from the main harness to the O2 sensor and this is what I got.

Voltage at white wire for passenger side: 11.85-11.90 V
Voltage at blue wire for passenger side: ~11.50V

I also checked for voltage at the driver side white/orange wire: 11.96-12.0V

Both black wires on the O2 sensor main harness were giving good ground.

Is there anything else I can check myself to try and tackle down code 45?

I did try to reset the code at least 10 times and I got code 45 as soon as I turned the ignition "ON".

Please let me know what I can do prior to dumping money at the dealership.

Thanks,

Paul

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a connector issue. I would disconnect the O2 sensor in question and clean the connector with some contact cleaner add some de-electric grease and reconnect.

95d1

To clear the codes I take out the fuel injector fuse under the hood in the fuse box for 5 seconds or so. Check that the o2 sensor is clean too. Drive it in firts gear with the revs high or take it out and burn the crud off with a propane torch. If this dosn't work switch them and see if the code changes to the other side.

A

AtlasEngr

95d1 said:
To clear the codes I take out the fuel injector fuse under the hood in the fuse box for 5 seconds or so. Check that the o2 sensor is clean too. Drive it in firts gear with the revs high or take it out and burn the crud off with a propane torch. If this dosn't work switch them and see if the code changes to the other side.

Disconnected battery and all to reset the codes. Codes went away and then code 02 came on. This went away after the second time I put the ignition on "ON".
I swapped the O2 sensors from their original location and drove around for a while and no code. Well after driving it at a later date for a while ~20 mile trip, code 45 is now back on!
I have the RAVE CD for the Discovery and what I need to do is pinpoint an electrical problem with the passenger side O2 sensor connector.

Does anyone know where to start first or a good plan of attack?

Thanks!

A

AtlasEngr

Someone make sense of this diagram!

If anyone can break it down. Please let me know.

DiscoveryO2SensorDiagram.jpg

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ngomac