95' Manual Disco Demons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W

wvudiscowhite

There are a few minor demons that have plagued my manual tranny 95' Disco I since I picked it up a little over a year ago....Any advice is much appreciated.
1) Trouble starting. When cold, it cranks and cranks before it fires. When it does fire, there is a strong gasoline smell in the air. Spark plugs have been replaced, along with the distributor cap and fuel filter, all to no avail. It happens much worse after being driven for longer distances (300+ miles) then allowed to sit overnight. In one instance, she took over 4 minutes of cranking, waiting, cranking, before she fired.
2) ABS and SRS lights. Both are on. The ABS is working fine, and luckily, I've yet to collision test the SRS. The main problem is in getting the codes read without taking it to a dealer or maxing out my credit card at RoversNorth. Can anyone direct me on getting the codes read?
3) The alarm will not arm. While driving down the interstate, the doors locked themselves on their own several times. After that, the handset quit working. I replaced the batteries, no change. I took my shop manual and attempted to arm the alarm manually by switching the key and manipulating the hood in sequence. I'm fairly sure I did it right, and it would not arm. Relay to the ECU, or busted alarm? Any aftermarket alarms that are fairly inexpensive and easy to install?

Any and all help is appreciated....

D

discomike

Clayton,
On your start problem, I would suspect the fuel pump, more specificaly the pressure valve in the pump which is supposed to maintain the fuel pressure in the rail. When the valve goes bad you have no pressure in the fuel rail and the injectors won't fire. Could be somethin else But I would look at this as a big player in your problem.
The ABS light can be on and the system will still work, maybe not 100% though. As for the SLS, you could have a bad spiral ring or sensor, rarely do the bgas fail as such.
For the alarm, you need to have someone scan the system for that, there are too many things to cause what you are describing.
Good luck,
Mike J.

D

dirtyjim

another thing that could be causing your starting problem is the rotor.make sure you have a genuine LR or UK made lucas ,the italian made ones are crap.
your remote may have the same problem mine did.where the battery holder is soldered to the circuit board had worked loose.if it has you can resolder it back and it should work.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaky injector(s)? You could be flooding the engine as it sits....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM