'98 Disco 1 Starts right up, won't idle, runs very rough, not drivable...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skypilot

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Have a '98 Disco 1 with about 180k miles. Got home from the boonies, she died in the driveway, and since then, she'll start instantly, then die. I can keep her running (roughly) by tapping the throttle, and she'll swing back and forth between1500-3000 rpm, popping and sputtering. Try to hold an even throttle and she dies. Sounds like some kind of fuel delivery problem.
Since then I have replaced: spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, IAC valve. Prior to this, the MAF sensor and fuel pressure regulator had been replaced. I have checked and cleaned every connection I could reach, and checked all the vacuum lines I could find. Still no luck.
If anyone has had any experience along this line, I would love to hear how you solved the problem.
Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
While in the boonies, did you get into any water? If so check your MAF again as it may have gotten wet or the air filter may have water in the box.

I would check fuel pressure at the fuel rail, I would also if it were me and none of the other items made and difference consider pulling the cam to look and see if it is worn out.

skypilot

Reaction score
Joey: Wasn't ******* her when out in boonies, didn't go thru any water or mud, always stayed right side up. Will check MAF again, and air filter as well.

skypilot

Reaction score
Joey:
Problem solved! Thanks for your assistance. Replaced my (supposedly) new MAF sensor with an old one that I kept around for a spare, and that seems to have done it. Now she starts right up, idles smoothly, winds up cleanly past 4500 rpm.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
glad to hear it.... way too many times I have seen the MAF cause these issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge