98 Disco seatbelt fun, any help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

kit533i

My wife's 98 disco has been giving her fits lately. The problem is with the passenger seatbelts. I usually drive when we're in the car together, and my wife really has issue with the passenger seatbelt locking up when she tries to move or lean forward. Now, I know they're supposed to lock up when they're pulled too fast (i.e. during extremely fast deceleration,) but no matter how slowly she pulls, it still locks up. This doesn't even allow her to (comfortably) reach into the glove box for maps or to turn in the seat to check on our daughter in the back seat. Is this just normal in the Disco and we need to figure out a way to deal with it? Or does this seem (as it does to us) like the belts are wound too tight? It seems as though any other vehicle we drive in there are no such issues. Any thoughts are welcome.

TIA,

Kit

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like a good cleaning may be in order for the seat belts... I had a similar issue with an older Ford car that I had way back in High School. I tore the seat belt assymbly apart and found all kinds of interesting things in there. Cleaned with some soap and water, then lightly lubed the springs and all was well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72