98 Disco with problem idle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cameroncorral

Reaction score
Not mechanically inclined, so my explanations may be a little random! I have a 98 disco with 130,000 miles and she just started having issues when i start her up. i drive my disco every day and just started having this problem. when i start the truck it idles very rough and will just die. i tried it maybe 10 times and it got progressively worse. first it would just idle rough and below 800 rpms before turning off. towards the last few tries it just would start for a second or two at 100 rpms or so before dying. randomly i left the truck to sit while i called friends and family for help(not much) and returned later in the day and the truck started right up and was fine? I just got back from a two hundred mile trip in which i changed the water pump and two window regulators. I felt like i was good for a while between repairs, but now i am lost. I do have a K & N filter if that matters. it has been on for two years. Again, this just started happening yesterday. by the way, i also just put a new battery, and fuel filter two months ago. please feel free to ask more background questions and i will do the best i can to answer. just bare with my low level of understanding when it comes to vehicles. thanks again! cameron

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Last tune up? i.e. plugs wires and such..

Rough idle I would say clean the TPS (throttle position switch) and the IAC (Idle Air Control) do a search on them and you should find a pic of it from a few years ago.

Could also be fuel pump issues with 130k on the vehicle, depending on how often you have changed the fuel filter.

cameroncorral

Reaction score
will be having tune up in two weeks. also will try your recommendations in the meantime! thanks again. :smile:

cameroncorral

Reaction score
just another quick note, i started my truck up yesterday and all was well......until i went down to autozone and used a obdII tester and got no codes and could not replicate the problem. i then drove around for a while running random errands. when i got home i came back out five minutes later and of course, could not get the truck to start! after about four hours i came back and it started right back up again. its seems to only happen when the truck has run for a while. I will be having a tune-up done shortly, but was hoping i could tell my mechanic to help with this(or attempt to fix myself). any thoughts greatly appreciated. by the way, i have a couple of rear window motors if anyone is in need. willing to donate to worthy owner in need! both are in good working order, i purchased both before realizing my problem was just replacing broken nylon wheels!)

cameron

cameroncorral

Reaction score
update on start up/idle situaltion

went to autozone yesterday to see if an obdII reader could give me anything, but to my surprise, nothing. then drove around running errands and returned home. twenty minutes later i tried to start the truck and it would not start. this problem seems to have happened twice now only after the truck has been driven for a while? cold starts are not a problem and starts right up but for whatever reason, warm starts present this problem.:confused: I dont know much about cars and trucks so i do apologize, but any thoughts would be helpful! by the way, after having a friend fix my rear windows without replacing anything, i now have two spare used rear window motors and possibly one regulator arm. willing to donate to disco in need. dont have much offer, but would like to help if i can. looking for someone in need not someone to stockpile. thanks again!

cameron

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not starting could be a crank position sensor, or the fuel pump going bad... if you haven't changed the fuel filter yet, I would do that too.

cameroncorral

Reaction score
sorry for the delay on the update, but found out it was a bad fuel pump. finally died for good about a two weeks ago! anyway, wanted to know if anyone knows what fuel pump i should buy to replace it? i have seen some listed for as little as 232 dollars and others for up to 600. i will be replacing it myself since local land rover mechanic (who are great people) wanted to charge me almost 900 to replace. i just dont know the difference between the options(maybe if someone can give me a model or part #). I would really appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction. thanks again!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635