'98 Rover will not start after immobilizing remotes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diolmaker

Reaction score
Newbie here.
I just picked up a '98 Range Rover yesterday (61k) and drove it 350 miles home in sub zero weather to have it not start today. The car started fine but the remote wasn't working.

Being the tinkering fool I am, before reading up on the remotes or anti-theft system, I took apart and removed the batteries from the remotes thinking that I would start ownership with fresh batteries the next day. Well next day being today, I went to start my new used Rover with out batteries in the remote and nothing. I went and replaced batteries and started all the different methods to synch and remobilize the truck to start. Nothing. The remotes do not work and the truck will not start.

Currently when I try synching or the lock and unlock sequences with the vehicle code and or 1515, all I get is beeps, flashing markers and dash lights with a message "Key in ignition" when the key isn't in and when I get out.

The battery the seller put in yesterday was a used battery too. Should I try a fresh battery? It does appear to have a charge. Also it is below zero out side. How much does the frigid cold play into this?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Check battery first (probably the issue) and use the key to unlock door (drivers). Before trying to start.

diolmaker

Reaction score
Is it common that all other accessories, lights, windows etc.. work but there is not enough juice to activate the system to reprogram properly?

diolmaker

Reaction score
Tried new deep cycle battery

Tried new deep cycle 900 CCA battery and still get nothing in terms of cranking.
It just appears to be immobilized but it is also about -5 outside and the seller says they had it garaged and when they put a battery in it started right up.

I just can't figure out if I immobilized it by removing the remote batteries or if it's just because it is so cold that the engine is frozen? Or is there a fuse I should be checking?
The truck started and ran fine for 350 miles of fuel stops and rest areas in this weather with out a problem until it sat overnight.

In regards to my question about the dash warning. I did find out that the "key in ignition" light was due to the lock mechanism sticking. Didn't help the situation on starting though.

With a fresh battery I should be able to re-synch the remote and reprogram it to the computer. Any suggestion on the best method for a '98 of re-synch and program of remote with new batteries?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok is anything working? do you hear a clicking or anything when you attempt to start it. Could be the starter went bad. Could be the previous owner used water and not antifreeze, did you check to make sure the fluids are not frozen?

Starter would be my first guess, if you have a good battery. I presume that since it is a deep cycle battery that you have charged it.

diolmaker

Reaction score
All electrical and accessories work except that it will not synch remote.
I can reset windows, roof and input radio code. Plenty of beeping going on.

The battery is measuring 900+ CCA. I do hear a click noise that appears to be inside when I try to start.

I can't imagine the starter being bad. I turned the truck on and off a dozen times the day before with out any clue of starter issues.

Should I check fuses? I looked in the box and there are hand-drawn symbols on the inside of the lid of what looks like a round image with lines or a snowflake indicating a fuse and relay. Maybe it is suppose to be a symbol for a starter? Obviously, the dealer did this.

Someone else recommended reconnecting the battery with the key in the second position. I was thinking of trying that too.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Starter Motor Relay: Located under the hood in the fuse box

The starter motor relay is ignition key controlled and
activated with the key in position 3 only. Releasing the
key after cranking cuts supply to the relay and
switches off the starter motor. Failure of this relay will
result in the starter motor not working.

Then:
I would try jump starting it just to make sure it isn't a battery issue or hot starting the starter.

diolmaker

Reaction score
I think its imobilized. Is there any sure fire way to reset the antitheft system?
The one thing I definitely did diferently was remove the batterys from the remote. The owners manual says that you have to resynch the remote which i didn't do. I just left it unlocked and tried to start with key. Doesn't that trigger the becm to immobilize the starter?

The owners manual says you can't synch remotes which I can't once the system is imbolized?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You should be able to lock and unlock the door with the key 4 times and this will allow you to start it. If not I believe on the RR you will need to visit a dealer to resync the remotes.

diolmaker

Reaction score
Marriage Saved

Joey,
I think you may have just saved my marriage.
I had just about given up on restarting the Rover. The only proof my wife had that it ever ran was the fact that it was planted in a foot of snow in front of her garage space. To make matters worse, after only 3 days of ownership, sub-zero weather, and a wife about ready to **** me, I had to leave to LA on business last night. My last reply was from the plane taxing on the tarmack in Detroit. Now in LA, the 83 degrees I'm getting here doesn't make things better from her side or the fact that she is left with our 3 year old twins driving her insane while she has been trying to get her Chrysler Pacifi-**** un-stuck in the driveway.

Well today, I had three blistering voicemails from a deranged screaming wife demanding that I call AAA and have the !@#$% bohemoth hauled away when my cell phone rang.

Afraid to answer and about to let it go to voicemail, I picked up to hear her very very happy voice say that she found an email from Joey on how to try the key lock sequence. Upon reading, she immediately ran out in the driveway to try it. Voila! the beast fired to life. She immediately moved the toddler car seats into the Rover and drove off thru the snow and over the ice to the store for milk and diapers. She since has called three times saying how much she loves truck, how brilliant she is and how she figured out how to reset the windows and radio.

I guess I'm off the hook thanks to you Joey.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM