99 Discovery II bucking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

discomike

I think I didn't make myself clear when I suggested looking atr the plug wires while the engine is running in the dark. I wanted to see if you could see any sparks between the plug wires and the engine , which would be caused from warn wires shorting out, which would also be the cause of your problems. While this is not a full proff test it is good for starters.
Mike

T

tree25

oh ok.. nah I didn't see any sparks, but I didn't know thats what I was looking for.. lol.. I had a flashlight out there looking for arching of some sort.. I will try it again tonight and look for sparks..

I'm fearing the wrath of the dealer

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tree25

Nope.. No sparks.. I checked it for about 5 minutes only while it was idling though.. Would I need to get someone to rev the RPM's while I check for sparks?

Any other test I can perform to try and find the culprit of my problems? Thanks, Tree

D

discomike

OK, I am at a loss, sounds like you really may need to wait until you get a check engine light, so you can have it scanned for the all telling code.
Wish I could have been more help. Let me know if anything changes.
Mike J.

T

tree25

thanks for the help.. gotta break down and take it to the dealer.. will come back and let you know what was giving it troubles

DiscoFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i was wrong about it having a distributor, but i think i was right with the direction i was going. Mike you said he has a coil pack instead right, so wouldnt/couldnt missfires be caused by a bad coil pack if all the plugs and wires look good?

T

tree25

Just to update the thread...

Shes running good as new again.. I ended up letting a local Honda parts shop / junkyard fix it since I was selling them a phone system.. it cost me $950 though :(

There was an oil leak visible that was spilling into the plugs and they said it was causing the plugs to be fouled up.. they changed both coil packs, all plugs and they fixed the leak- on the leak I think they said they changed the gaskets, valve covers or something like that.. The only problem is that all of the parts (coil packs, etc.. ) came off junked vehicles and weren't new.. I didn't know what the dealer would of charged me so I may have been no better off letting them fix it, but atleast she runs great again..

In conclusion it probably was one of the coil packs that was bad.. They charged me $125 for each coil pack (replaced both) and $100 labor for the coil packs if that sounds about right.. $600 was labor and parts to fix the leak, replaced gaskets, valves or something like that and supposedly changed out all 8 spark plugs.. So $950 total, which was a partial trade against a phone system I sold and installed for them.. I made about $500 profit on the phone system so I guess I can look at it that I paid around $450..

Last edited by a moderator:

DiscoFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you're back on the road again and i hope atleast the gasket was new

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM