A few oil questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about switching to synthetic in my 07 LR3 4.4. Got about 77k on it now. The switch seems like it would save money. Dino I do 5k@ $35 per, synthetic I'd do 10k (thoughts?) @ $50-$60. So I'd save a bit there. Would there be any issues in putting it in the LR3? Would it harm the seals or anything like that? I've read that LR seems recommends dino, but I can't confirm that.

Thanks.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of Synthetic GF3, 4 or 5?

I really dislike questions as to which oil is better as it is a black art.

I use a GF3 spec oil and for what it is worth, that is now an older spec synthetic oil given that the oil companies are now up to GF5 numbering.

While others will disagree, some feel that clicking of bits inside starts to be heard with higher than GF3 oils.

I do not know if this is true as I have stuck with Castrol Syntec SAE 5W-40 oil that meets ILSAC GF-3 spec and so far, I have not heard any engine noises I do not like.

I have 165,000 km, (100,000 miles), on my 4.4L petrol LR3 HSE.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What i heard from bunch of mechanics, that on this mileage it is risky and bit too late for switch.You could risk a dissolving a gasket deposits and so on. I would stay with mineral , if i were you and enjoy the ride. Guy that worked in jaguar plant many years said , that our engine was designed for a use of conventional oil.I personally don,t see a potential benefits from using a synthetic oil at all.Lr3 is not a sports car and does not need a high temp. spec. oils to run.My two cents..

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, mineral oil is real oil; synthetics are just that.

I agree with thorgal; if you are using mineral oil, then do not switch to something that is not "oil". Synthetics are just that, synthetic oil.

My engine has been running the Castrol Syntec GF3 since new and that I why I do not change from it to something that is more fashionable.

In other words, you may be best to remain with what you know works.

I am also a fan of installing a new drain plug with each oil change, LR part number 1013938.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has had castrol edge since 40k, mobile 1 before that. At 119700 now.

nsense

Reaction score
I only use Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic 8 qts on my LR3 since 46k miles and change every 7,500. I also use a $7 Purolator L15317 filter or STP S5618 filter. Premium gas too. No problems since. I have 62k miles on it now.

My BMW X5 4.4i sport - also Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic, takes 9 qts, change every 7,500 miles.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What i heard from bunch of mechanics, that on this mileage it is risky and bit too late for switch.You could risk a dissolving a gasket deposits and so on.

Is there any objective evidence to support this old wives tale ? I've heard the same type of claims for "high mileage oils" where it is claimed the extra detergent(s) could dissolve "stuff"

I've heard just as many counters to the effect that oil is oil is oil - as long as it meets the viscosity and other manufacturer specifications you are fine. It would be like saying once your engine tastes Castrol, don't swap for anything else...

Just trying to come out of the dark ages :stupid:

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some research on that aspect...and came to the conclusion that it would be ok. It's not like I never changed the oil in it. My main thing was if anyone got any weird noises or leaks.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Current buzz word is "perception".

Is there any objective evidence to support this old wives tale ? I've heard the same type of claims for "high mileage oils" where it is claimed the extra detergent(s) could dissolve "stuff"

I've heard just as many counters to the effect that oil is oil is oil - as long as it meets the viscosity and other manufacturer specifications you are fine. It would be like saying once your engine tastes Castrol, don't swap for anything else...

Just trying to come out of the dark ages :stupid:
I think there is no definitive objective "evidence" re good oil and bad oil. I think the word is "perception". About all I can say is that if you get enough engine mechanics standing around and their perception tends to the same conclusion, well at some point that perception should be regarded as either fact or "old mechanics" tales - you have to decide yourself.

Actually I think for a lawn mower engine, any oil is better than no oil and that seems to be why lawn mower engines suffer rather severely at times.

For an aircraft turbine, I would probably pay attention to what the manufacturer recommends rather than an alternate oil seller. Our question is merely how close is the Jag engine to either of the two extremes of engine designs referred to above.

As I said in my first post, "I really dislike questions as to which oil is better as it is a black art."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99