AC blower fan quits on hot day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC blower fan cut off on hot day, I was driving 35-45 mph city, in 100 degree heat in Raleigh NC drove about 15 miles: The AC blower suddenly quits. No amount of fiddling with controls would change it. Compressor appeared to be running because of faint amount of cold coming from vents. I turned the AC off to prevent freeze up. The Vehicle did not overheat during this event. Got home & checked all fuses and relays and they were fine. The engine compartment was very hot but no evidence of fluids anywhere. Parked overnight, and in the morning everything is fine. AC is working normally.

Question: did the heat of the day cause a protective shut down? Or do I have a problem?

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem becoming more clear... AC blower fan continues to cut off and if I bang the dashboard it sometimes comes back on. AC compressor, fuses and relays all appear to be working just fine. Before I disassemble the dashboard looking for the loose connection, would anyone buy a replacement climate control head off eBay for less than $50 ?

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found that the blower when put on "high" (4th position) will cut out periodically when running the AC on a very hot and humid day. When it happens I lower the fan speed and it works at the lower fan speed. You can then turn the fan back up after a while.

isr2kba

Reaction score
I found that the blower when put on "high" (4th position) will cut out periodically when running the AC on a very hot and humid day. When it happens I lower the fan speed and it works at the lower fan speed. You can then turn the fan back up after a while.

I have the exact same problem and have found the exact same solution. It's not just on really hot days. It also happens on really cold days. In fact, any time the blower is in the high position it might happen. Moving the selector switch to a lower position and then back again will generally work around the issue. Banging the dash might work but hitting a really hard bump in the road works better :)

This leads me to believe it's a contact in the blower motor selector switch that is getting tired and worn. It really hasn't been a big enough issue for me to take it apart and figure it out.

I'd be curious to find out if anyone else has.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally broke down and pulled the blower motor. Findings: the fan was dragging... I could not make it spin freely with my fingers but it turned smoothly. The parts from Land Rover were expensive. Shopping on eBay revealed prices from $50 (Old ones and probably already dirty) to $295 (fresh remanufactured)!
Next: I dissected the fan that would not turn freely and using a microscope, found a sludge like substance in the bearings and shaft that appeared to be a combination of, dust, plastic particles, microsopic vegtable particles, fan grease etc. It was sort of sticky and gooey and it was preventing the fan from getting started from a dead stop.
Many users report that changing fan speeds, banging the dashboard, and other tricks can get it going but what we are actually doing is bump starting the gummed up fan motor.
Finally, this fan runs when I apply 12 volts and give it a little push start. Solution might be a filter on the intake at the bottom of the windscreen. It would need to be easily replaced readily available and cheap, like an old sock or something :) Ideas anyone?

Rix92x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the A/C die last month on the first 90degree day 4 hours from home with the baby in the truck....
The compressor had a leak they said....then on the trip home that weekend the blower died as well.
Dealership replaced the compressor and the often mentioned part under the hood. all was well
Fast forward to this past weekend, nearly identical heat, AC on high for about 30 minutes-about to pick up the baby and **** smoke puffs out the vents, a faint burning smell and no more front A/C....although the rear A/C was still blowing cold-just no air in front at all
Dealership picked the truck up yesterday and replaced the control module for the HVAC, then called to say that fixed the issue but, the fan sounds like its coming apart so they are ordering and replacing the blower motor now as well.
We will see how long this lasts this time....

MRIGURU

Reaction score
Good afternoon (for some),

I am in the process of diagnosing this exact same issue...I may have a few differences:

I have a 2002 Disco II...The AC just stopped on my way home (in the muggy DC heat) two days ago. I spent an hour at Advanced Auto checking all fuses related to the AC and blower. All checked out fully functional. I bought the R134 ac refill...I cant even get a pressure to register (when the ac unit is turned on max). Disco 2, MRIGURU 0.

My next effort is to disassemble the blower under the glove box and see if it is "gunked" up .

G-d be with me. This is my pregnant wife's vehicle, and I do not think Haggen Dazs makes enough ice cream to suffice her resentment towards her baby being (potentially) hurt more by yours truly.

I will be sure to post if any miracles happen...I'm hoping for Chuck Norris to show up and just look at is with an evil eye...Maybe this will get things back on track?

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My problem turned out to be gunked up blower AND a faulty relay located in the same box under the passenger side dash. After replacement it was oddly intermittent and then all on it's own it straightened out! Took about a week, but I don't drive it often. I bought the OEM replacement blower and that may not have been necessary but my wallet is bigger than my toolbox! G_d will be with you if you replace the $10 relay while you are in there. Save yourself the trouble, it costs more to be in there than the price of the silly relay. e.tov -david

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9