AC went out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dochummer

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. So, I got a quote from the mechanic. They want to replace the a/c compressor, condenser, receiver dryer, expansion valve, rear expansion valve and flush the system. He says the compressor is in fact seized up. Total cost for parts and labor is $3500. Parts total is $1300 and the rest is labor and state tax...

I guess my concern is whether this is overkill on it? I was prepared for a compressor replacement, not a full overhaul of the A/C system.

Last edited:

Airstream345

Reaction score
Well I would say if the compressor had an internal failure and metal or debris got into the system that would be the proper way to repair it (basically replace everything).

Labor is justifiably a lot of hours as the work is very time consuming. I suppose you could shop around for hours/rates and possibly save money.

For me I had a visual external failure so replaced only the minimum components.

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, when my AC was blowing hot air, I had to replace one of the AC lines running under the doors.

Works ok now, except every 15 minutes or so it blows hot air for a few minutes. Then works fine again.

I would imagine with a seized compressor, that would burn the belt wouldn't it?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
frangible AC coupling

If the compressor were to seize, the frangible coupling should shear. You will loose your AC but should still beable to navigate.

Note that there is no AC clutch per compressor designs of years back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM