Accessories for 99 DII

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

chuck21401

Hi,

My wife bought her 99 Disco Series II back in August. Just found this forum a couple of days ago. The truck now has 96K miles. We are thinking about buying some accessories for her truck. The truck is used as a daily driver with occassional trips off road on weekends. Last weekend we went through the woods behind the house and did a little damage. The right SLS height sensor broke (I posted another thread about this) and the front left foglight was knocked out. I am thinking about these upgrades:

1. lift front 2", add extensions to ride sensors on the SLS system for more ground clearance. I have read that many people ditch the SLS system, but for now I would like to keep it. When we first bought the truck we had to have a leaking SLS bag replaced by the dealer (ouch $$$). Would we need new front springs/shocks to lift the front end?
2. front skid plate. Looking under the front end some important stuff seems to be unguarded
3. front brush guard (is there anything that I could do to protect the delicate fog lights??)
4. maybe bigger tires, but will that throw off the odometer reading?

Thanks.

Chuck and Amy

(Picture of the disco in this thread:
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1408)

D

discomike

Chuck and Amy,
Go to E.E. and look at the play store for Rovers and especially the OME lift info. http://www.expeditionexchange.com/
Also go to Atlantic British and order a catalog
www.atlanticbritish.com
Both of these outlets will be glad to empty your wallet.
My option, forget the skid plate, a little lift and some good tires is all you will need.
Brush guards, especially ones to protect the fog lights are worth less, if it gets that bad you will as other have done before, loose your bumper anyway at some point.
Whatever you do keep the SLS, you will be just fine and have a nicer ride with it.

Encloseing a picture of my 99.
3" OME lift with 2" RTE spacers for the rear.
265/75/16 BFG MT's and way too much more.
Have fun shopping.
Mike J.

Attachments

• silverwoodMikeStand2.jpg
    silverwoodMikeStand2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 86

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack but Mike, do you think you would have made that obstacle without your rear locker or etc?

D

discomike

Because I was slightly off line I slipped the r/r into a hole that needed the Detroits help for sure. I could have back out of it and driven up higher up on the ledge, would have kept me alot more level, but what sort of fun would that be.
It was pretty neat to watch both the front tires grabbing at anything with the TT's working but it was the Detroit that came thru.
I love finding angles and twists on a trail to play in.
Mike J.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheeling is so much better with lockers, I have said it before but I would take a stock vehicle with a locker over any other one accessory. My ranger project has only a couple mods, F & R lockers, and a 5 ft. long removeable skidplate, with good mud terrains it kills about anything out there...I can only imagine a locked up disco.

C

chuck21401

I think it is going to take me a while to learn the lingo. Are you talking about locking differentials?

D

discomike

Yes Chuck,
I was commenting on my lockers, a Detroit locker in the rear and a True Trac in the front diff, as well as a CDL which locks the transfer case.
Mike J.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike what kind of brushguard is that, custom ARB?

Chuck, for mods I would think tires to start with, but then if you want bigger ones you will want the lift too...lol just the beginning, but good off-road tires make your vehicle look great and they really help out. my opinion.

D

discomike

That is a bumper that I had made for me here in Santa Barbara not a brush guard.
Mike J.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM