Acts like fuel pump is out, but its not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About three weeks ago my wife drove home from work, parked the LR3. The next day, it wouldn't start, cranks like hell though.

So, two things right, no spark or no fuel. I eventually just give up after few mins of trying. Next few days, same things, it will crank strong and hard but no starting. I let it sit for a few days, about 3, starts right up! I didn't drive it though, but did let it run for a little bit. Even shut it off and started it a few times.

Next day, no start. 4 days later, starts! So this last time it started, i let it run for a long time, I noticed right away the fan wasn't shutting off at all, and it also was idling very high. It got pretty hot, but not overheated hot, just hotter then normal operating temps.

I was completely convinced my fuel pump was gone. Ive checked the fuses in the box as well as the one relay i could find for the fuel pump, swapped it out. I still have the same problems. I have a strong feeling this is going to be one of those quirky dealer fixes. Some sort of sensor or relay somewhere and not an entire fuel pump assembly. The problem is, the nearest dealer is 65 miles away and I don't even want to think about how much a tow will cost from here to there so I am trying to figure this one out on my own. Ive thought about taking it to my local shop that isn't a Land Rover type shop, but they have two guys there that know their stuff it seems.

Anyone seen these symptoms or had this problem before? Ideas? Thanks!!!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Steven,
I have the same problem, 2005 LR3. It always starts, but can 'dead crank' forever before it starts. and then it runs completely fine. It is much worse when it's cold out. I thought the same thing about the fuel pump (thought maybe it was a bad check valve or something, but had it pressure tested and it's fine. I put new spark plugs in but really didn't help. One thing that does help is holding the gas pedal down just a little bit and then starting. Sorry I don't have a real fix, but I'd be curious to know if the gas pedal thing helps you. Please post if you figure it out, I'll do the same.
Good luck

Rubber Cow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try cleaning your throttle body....do a search for instructions.
Any chance you have water in the fuel?

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have actually considered the water in fuel thing, but it happened so suddenly (i.e. it drove home fine but the next day it didn't start.)

I will try the throttle body cleaning today I think. I have done it before about 60k miles ago, hope it is something just as easy as that.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a good idea to clean the throttle body anyway, but with me that's not the problem. Did it last year. Although cleaning it fixed the crap out of the rough idle!
Steven. When it does run, does it run fine? Does it idle fine?
What year, how many miles? Mine is an '05 with 95k
Also, try cycling the ignition off and on a few times. Turn it on (but not to crank the engine) and wait five seconds. Repeat that a couple times. The idea there is that it will turn the fuel pump on and prime the fuel line if that's the problem.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roverman,

I cleaned up the throttle body today. Before starting it I cycled the key, i could physically hear the fuel pump cycle so i knew it would start, which it did.

When it does run, it idles high, about 1200 RPM even if I let it run for 30 mins plus. I have not driven it yet, but I have put it in gear in the driveway to see if the idle would kick down. The fan never shuts off the entire time its running. The engine fan is on full blast, running loud.

Today, unlike any other day, it had a solid yellow check engine light. I think i will pick up a cheaper code reader tomorrow to at least get the code out of it to see what its saying. Thats new. I need to get this thing figured out, its killing me!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably got the check engine light from cleaning the throttle plate/ I think I did too. I'd drive it around pretty hard for a while and then reset the light by doing the touch the battery cables together thing. The idle RPM is not something I experienced, so maybe we don't have the same mystery problem.
I was absolutely certain that the fuel was emptying out of the fuel line and back in the tank, it was the only way I could figure it. Just crank and crank like it was out of gas. until the mechanic tested it ok.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9