Adding another SUV without buying 2nd LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about her bad luck with accidents. Why not just give her the LR3 and get yourself a sporty car like a Bimmer or something? That way you guys will have something that kicks ass on the road and something that kicks ass off the road...and that are BOTH fun to drive.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wifes DD is a LX 570 she loves it and it does well off road. You may want to look at that. I have yet to talk with an H3 owener that likes his rig. The visibility is very poor,

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
REALLY good review, thanks for not caving in to the "it's crap" idea
I think it is an odd vehicle, but gotta admit - it is the ONLY vehicle my wife could parallel park - (don't EVEN go there, I have NO clue!)

I have not owned an H3, but did drive a rental for two weeks on Kauai last year.

It is a funky SUV that has character, decent room for its size, is solidly built, and did well on the beach, negotiating muddy rutted tracks, and driving below 50mph. Very manueverable and comfortable.

The bad: 5-cylinder engine is fine for offroad and below 50mph, but is anemic on the highway. Good for a small island, but not the open highway. At speeds over 60, I constantly had to correct its line.

On bumpy dirt-roads, the rear-end was constantly coming around. The worst I have ever experienced. I had to drive seriously slow to keep the rear in-line with the front, as while the kids thought it was good fun, the wife put the kabash on the tail out antics. I drove the same roads in a Suburban and Exploder with no such issues. Of course, I did not take these two on the sand and over the muddy track, where the H3 redeemed itself.

As I'm sure you know, the H3 is not being built anymore, so I would worry about resale. Parts should be OK, because they are mostly shared GM.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not owned an H3, but did drive a rental for two weeks on Kauai last year.

It is a funky SUV that has character, decent room for its size, is solidly built, and did well on the beach, negotiating muddy rutted tracks, and driving below 50mph. Very manueverable and comfortable.

The bad: 5-cylinder engine is fine for offroad and below 50mph, but is anemic on the highway. Good for a small island, but not the open highway. At speeds over 60, I constantly had to correct its line.

On bumpy dirt-roads, the rear-end was constantly coming around. The worst I have ever experienced. I had to drive seriously slow to keep the rear in-line with the front, as while the kids thought it was good fun, the wife put the kabash on the tail out antics. I drove the same roads in a Suburban and Exploder with no such issues. Of course, I did not take these two on the sand and over the muddy track, where the H3 redeemed itself.

As I'm sure you know, the H3 is not being built anymore, so I would worry about resale. Parts should be OK, because they are mostly shared GM.

I agree with this review. I am NOT a chevy guy at all, but when we had one of these for a rental, I was quite surprised at how nice the ride was and how quite it was inside the cabin. I'll echo that the power is VERY lacking, but maybe that's not something your wife is concerned with. One thing I hate, which plagues the H2 & FJ as well, is the blind spots. They are TERRIBLE!! If your wife drives in heavy traffic often, I would put this down as a big con. The mileage seemed descent tho, in the mid twenties as I recall. And I did drive it like anyone should drive a rental. In fact, my wife was impressed enough, she seriously considered buying one until we decided we needed a 7 passenger rig.

I am not sure I'd be real worried about re-sale as there is a good following of the hummer brand and if you list it in the right places, some enthusiast will be happy to buy it from you.

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge