Advice on Aftermaket Bluetooth Solutions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

deanz

I am completely frustrated using the LR Bluetooth PTI that was installed in my '05 LR3 HSE....So I'm asking my dealer to take it out, give back my money so I can install an aftermarket BT kit.

Does anyone have any opinions on what aftermarket BT kit works well/best with the LR3. I guess the only real integration issue is that the BT kit can mute the radio when calls are made or come in. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've looked at some solutions and two in particular stand out, Parrot and TellPhone. I’m interested in the units that have LCD screens with call/phone information. Here are the websites for each of the one’s I’ve researched so far.

http://www.parrot.biz/products/index.php?id=3200

http://www.tellphone.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=18

Tellphone is coming out with a new model in the 2nd Qtr of '06, the "TellPhone 5000" system. They emailed me a brochure that I'd be happy to post (but I do not know how to attach files yet on this forum). The biggest change is that the 5000 system has a tiny wireless remote answer/hang-up unit (green/red buttons) in addition to the LCD screen. Seems really slick, since you can install this little unit near/on the steering wheel and the LCD, further away – on the dash.

Does anyone have experience with these units or others? Are there limitations on what aftermarket BT kits can be used with the LR3 due to the technology in the car (optical, MOST, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a "mute" lead an installer can use on the rear of the stereo head unit, if I remember correctly. When triggered, the stereo will mute and say "phone" or something like that.

For audio, your aftermarket system will need to use it's own amplified speaker... which can be hidden. (It's really not that bad.) Or you could use the "AUX" audio input -- but that means you'd need to press AUX to hear the phone.

D

deanz

Aftermarket Bluetooth Kit Voids Car's Warranty?

Thanks Grommet - that makes sense.

I spoke to a couple of installers that LR dealers in the area use and they said that they would not engage the capability of the aftermarket system to mute the radio on calls coming in and going out...I'd have to lower the volume myself. The reason they gave was that any "intrusion" into the radio/infotainment system potentially voids the warranty for the whole car! Does that sound even remotely plausible? I would think that it does not even void the warranty for the radio....

They advised putting in a bluetooth system that was completely separate and non-integrated or even attached in any way to the existing car's radio/electronics.

C

captgww

I had my installer use the Parrot 3100 that I removed from my Freelander (10 minute installation) for the LR3. He could not find the mute wire on the HK radio and the fibre optics audio circuits made it a project. The 3100 works fine, led display and all but I must shut off the radio or turn down the volumn and use an after market speaker instead of the car's. Hopefully Parrot or another mfg will make an adaptor cable package that will allow the easy installation in this vehicle at a later date. In Connecticut using a cell phone in hand is now illegal.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is indeed a mute connection point, but for the life of me I can't find my notes on it. I'll see what I can dig up...

Regarding warranty: The only thing that will void a warranty repair request (in the US) is if your modification can be proven to cause the failure you are attempting to get repaired. There is no way anything will "void your whole car warranty."

Last edited by a moderator:
D

deanz

Thanks Grommet

Please let us know what you are able to dig up on the mute connection point.

D

drdjin

deanz said:
Please let us know what you are able to dig up on the mute connection point.

Any news on that mute connector? I just got myself the Parrot 3200, and am scratching my head wondering what to do after I took out the factory radio. So I reconnected everything back and reinstalled the radio. I prefer not to splice or cut the factory wirings. Do you have any idea where I can get an adapter?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, guys, still haven't been able to find the reference... I'll try again ASAP.

D

deanz

Hey Grommet - any luck on locating info on that mute lead?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99