Advice on Installing Offroad Lights on Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbrincks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just have to pop it off, but like a lot of trim on the LR4, it's a bit scary because it is almost like you break it every time!!! :)

Yes, I was going to mention this, be careful when pulling off the A-pillar cover. The plastic does break easily. On the LR3 the plastic cover is held on with clips on the top and bottom and I managed to break the top clip when removing. However, I was not too worried because the snorkel bolts to the A-pillar behind the cover so my cover was still secure after reinstalling it. Granted the clips were probably more fragile since my vehicle is older.

If you want help when you get ready to install let me know.

Josh

HikeNbike

Reaction score
Yea i forgot to comment about the snorkle... Many USA customers forget that our LR4s 2013 and under, is a 5.0L V8 with dual intake filters that pull induction from each side of the vehicle. Last time i looked there was no driver side snorkel, you wouldn't want one if there was anyways.

I just thought about this. If you are going to mount roof lights on a rack, the odds are your rack is made of metal tubing. So you could technically route the power lines into the tubing out the back of the rack to the rear of the vehicle, then down right where the rear door opens. (there is factory conduit there and path inside the vehicle. From there it will be a tough run down and back towards the engine compartment, but better than messing with the pillars... IDK maybe... just a thought....

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was going to mention this, be careful when pulling off the A-pillar cover. The plastic does break easily. On the LR3 the plastic cover is held on with clips on the top and bottom and I managed to break the top clip when removing. However, I was not too worried because the snorkel bolts to the A-pillar behind the cover so my cover was still secure after reinstalling it. Granted the clips were probably more fragile since my vehicle is older.

If you want help when you get ready to install let me know.

Josh
Hey Josh,

I am going to try to avoid taking off the A pillar trim covers, as I don't want any issues. I am leaning toward the conduit tubing, but HikeNBike has a great suggestion above.......

I might be heading to Hollister soon, can you make it some Saturday?

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i forgot to comment about the snorkle... Many USA customers forget that our LR4s 2013 and under, is a 5.0L V8 with dual intake filters that pull induction from each side of the vehicle. Last time i looked there was no driver side snorkel, you wouldn't want one if there was anyways.

I just thought about this. If you are going to mount roof lights on a rack, the odds are your rack is made of metal tubing. So you could technically route the power lines into the tubing out the back of the rack to the rear of the vehicle, then down right where the rear door opens. (there is factory conduit there and path inside the vehicle. From there it will be a tough run down and back towards the engine compartment, but better than messing with the pillars... IDK maybe... just a thought....
Thanks so much - that was what I was planning for at least the rear two lights. If I go this route on the front lights, then I could run the wiring in conduit tubing down the flooring of the rack, then inside the vehicle and maybe somehow to the engine bay?

I need to take a look into where the conduit runs into the car - do you mean the cargo area or the rear door? Thanks!

-David

jbrincks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,

I made it back in town last weekend and have been meaning to email you. Yes, I can make it down that way when you go to Hollister next.

Josh

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,

I made it back in town last weekend and have been meaning to email you. Yes, I can make it down that way when you go to Hollister next.

Josh
Awesome!

Let me know a Saturday that's good for you and we can also see if Barron (BEAR) wants to join us. I know the MORG is the first Saturday in March as well, but I almost prefer it with less rigs.

-David

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM