Advice on Rockcrawler (Disco?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IslandStyle

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in getting a offroad vehicle for rock crawling. I'm an LR4 owner now, so I'm enamored with its capabilities. I'm thinking of grabbing a rig for overlanding (Disco, Cherokee or Landcruiser).

I know the Disco has a center lock diff. If I were to get a disco, what would this forum suggest? The Service Mgr at my dealership told me to stay away from 2003 D2 (water pump). I've read a little about three amigo's as well (more study is needed). Service Mgr warned that D2s leak oil, so as long as I'm okay with that then I should be good (not sure how I feel about that exactly). I know that head gaskets need changing at 100k-ish, so I'm prepared for that eventuality. He mentioned something about transfer case issues, but wasn't specific.

All opinions are welcomed. Thanks in advance for sharing.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it were my money buy a nice D1 i.e. 97 - 99 MY and spend the money upgrading axles. When rock crawling you going to destroy the axles and Diffs, so might as well upgrade them before you start.

Check out Great Basin Rovers for axle sets.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discos don't leak, They mark their territory! Old cruisers are nice, but find parts for them. Cherokees can be nice but jeeps are for barbies. I've wheeled with many and believe it or not the best vehicles I've wheeled with where in this order. Unimog by far, I mean leaps and bounds the best ohv, suzuki samurai, and the kicker, a geo tracker. I was so impressed with the tracker that I bought one for wheeling. I haven't started working on it yet but I have the parts. A 4" lift cost me a whopping 190.00. And that's a complete spring lift, not a puck lift. But back to the trucks you are talking about, I would get the 404 unimog. HAHAHA. But seriously, I have wheeled against and owned those vehicles. I wouldn't go back. Look up the unimog, you will be sold.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to add this. At the end of the day we were watching the buggies run the pro-wall and while these guys were struggling,flipping, backing down and breaking. We watched a first time wall climber with a stock mog walk right over it. Luck? Maybe. I wouldn't even think about doing that in any other stock vehicle or in any of my past modded vehicles.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Basstard440, but the OP (original poster) asked about Disco, jeeps and land cruisers... but the Uni mog for $6k for one nice beast would be the way to go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo