Aftermarket Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any of you heard of anyone installing an aftermarket radio/DVD/nav system? I love my rover, but I hate the electronics so much that I'm considering a trade in. The nav in horrendous, the iPod integration is difficult and even the Sirius lags and skips. It's so frustrating. I'm even thinking of trying to integrate an iPad mini over the screen. Any ideas?

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with this. Please post your experience if you get it done. I'd like to replace my speakers, but I'm not crazy enough to mess with the fiber-connected head unit, Satellite and Nav.

Speaking of the NAV, I've tried Fords, Jaguars, BMWs, etc., and the LR Unit tops them all, in my opinion. If I want a second opinion, I just use the new iPhone Google app (which has stellar turn-by-turn directions).

I've heard that changing the speakers is a pain in the ass. When I blew a speaker in my old LR3, they had to replace the door panel. Don't ask me why, but I'm assuming it was fused into the panel somehow.

Good luck.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with this. Please post your experience if you get it done. I'd like to replace my speakers, but I'm not crazy enough to mess with the fiber-connected head unit, Satellite and Nav.

Speaking of the NAV, I've tried Fords, Jaguars, BMWs, etc., and the LR Unit tops them all, in my opinion. If I want a second opinion, I just use the new iPhone Google app (which has stellar turn-by-turn directions).

I've heard that changing the speakers is a pain in the ass. When I blew a speaker in my old LR3, they had to replace the door panel. Don't ask me why, but I'm assuming it was fused into the panel somehow.

Good luck.

Actually, replacing your speakers and adding aftermarket equipment is very easy excluding the HU. The speaker replacements are just like any other car as the door panels are pretty easy to take off and the woofer and tweeters are easily accessible. The mids are installed in the door panel but do come out from it as my LR dealer had to replace the mid when I purchased the LR4. In my setup, I added component speakers to my front doors and disconnected the factory mids. As far as the HU, I would love to switch it out and go with an Alpine double-din if there was a way to keep the 4x4 info and bluetooth/steering wheel controls.

On a seperate note, for those of you who want a signal without the OEM amp processing/EQ, there are sound processors(Cleansweep, MS8, BIt 10...etc) out there that work pretty well to remove the EQ curves AFTER the OEM amp. I use the Bit 10 and it's fantastic but I'm waiting on Mobridge to provide a MOST bus integration pre amp hopefully later this year that will allow me to bypass the OEM amp all together and send a digital signal out to my aftermarket amp.

The natural quietness of our LR4 has made my stereo mod extremely enjoyable compared to my old 4runner with Dynamat.

Last edited:

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I may consider a speaker upgrade. The stock ones are just pathetic at low sound levels.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo