Air bag Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

LandyLight

It tells us in our owners manuals that the air bags need to be replaced every TEN YEARS. I have a 1995 D1 so i am coming up on the "replacement" time.
I know most of you do not have as old of vehicle as this just wanted to get some input on what other people have thought about this EXPENSIVE procedure. :stupid:

D

discomike

Adam,
I wouldn't replace it. I believe the manufacture states that to protect them selves against law suits. If your SRS light is not on I would leave well enough alone.
Plus, you're not supposed to be in an accident anway.
Mike J.

L

LandyLight

I figured it was a "protection" statement form Rover but you never know.
Unfortunantly you cant control what others do but i feel pretty safe in my road tank even without the airbags
Thanks Mike
:bandit:

M

montanablur

This is kind of along the same lines... But not really...

You may remember from an earlier thread I lost my steering, along with that loss I broke my clock spring. I managed to find a clock spring on ebay for $50 on ebay and now it has come time to install it.

The stealer is looking at $400. Local mechanic is looking at $300.

My question is... If I disarm the airbag by disconnecting the battery it seems like a pretty straight forward procedure, am I fooling myself?

D

discomike

If you have never done it before, I would be real careful, they are really dangerous to screw with.
Mike J.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I recall there is a capacitor that retains a charge for the explosive part of the airbag long after electrical current is cut off. Remember: This is something powered by (more or less) a shotgun shell mechanism, and it deploys rapidly, with great force, and without any real warning.

I vote, leave it to the dealer and/or local guy. Let someone else take an airbag in the face if it goes off.

Andy

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All! I am late this morning. I recommend that you don't mess w/your air bag until you have read, @ least 3 times, the air bag replacement instructions! It is a very, very dangerous step by step procedure that really takes time. That said, no, disconnecting the battery cable is not enough. SRS systems have their own short term power sources to insure deployment in accidents that destroy the battery. All SRS system fuses must be pulled, apart from disconnecting the battery. Follow the yellow wire covers to find the fuse areas. Air bags can deploy even after removal, or during removal, from just a static charge. DANGER! I have not had to do the ROVER yet, but I did have to remove the air bag in my daughter's car to repair steering column, was careful, and lived to tell this story. Please be careful, LRW.

M

montanablur

Thanks guys... I'm thinking I will opt for the safe route...

M

montanablur

Or I could just run into something and see if it works...

Justin curious as to what fluids you're running in your tranny... I have a 96 5 speed myself and plan on changing the fluids soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72