Dual engine air intake channels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize until flipping through the service manual while planning for the rear crossover replacement, those cool looking vents on the side of the LR4 are functional and they are for the engine air intake. Very unique. There are two air filters too. I haven't seen that before now. It is well thought out, probably for water fording? Normally manufactures have one air channel and the air is captured from the front of the vehicle.

dnXraZ8.png

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double the air filter cost...Actually you can run them twice as long lol.
Actually, true.

Engineers required that the air filters should last a certain amount of mileage.
Their goals were met with the dual air filters.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 had the same intake, but only a single intake on the U.S. passenger side. It's why you can't just use an LR3 snorkel on an LR4 - because it would only aid 1/2 of the intakes. I'm kind of surprised that nobody has made a second snorkel for the U.S. driver's side.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 had the same intake, but only a single intake on the U.S. passenger side. It's why you can't just use an LR3 snorkel on an LR4 - because it would only aid 1/2 of the intakes. I'm kind of surprised that nobody has made a second snorkel for the U.S. driver's side.
Agreed, on the diesel models they have only one air intake, the other side is a dud. It is cool to see side vents that are actually functional. I believe on the new defender they run the same set up except only the V8 model uses both side vents.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually thinking about this the other day after messaging with @Nechaken about intake temps and the intercooler pump. At highway speeds wouldn’t the intake ports have more of a Venturi effect than intake? At about 84 mph the intake air temp was about 3 degrees more than ambient air temp.

I’ve wondered before about a performance intake to get colder air and not sacrifice water fording (I guess a snorkel would have that effect) or performance hood that would help remove heat from the engine bay.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve wondered before about a performance intake to get colder air and not sacrifice water fording (I guess a snorkel would have that effect) or performance hood that would help remove heat from the engine bay.
The snorkel doesn't increase the wading depths.
At a certain point the vehicle will start floating.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
The rubber elbow that connects to the air boxes has a bunch of holes in it, looking like crocs. Having snorkels do NOT mean you can submerge it, even on a LR3. It's not a sealed system.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rubber elbow that connects to the air boxes has a bunch of holes in it, looking like crocs. Having snorkels do NOT mean you can submerge it, even on a LR3. It's not a sealed system.
Yup, if you pull an air box out you’ll see the holes. Actually just as a side topic has anyone found a replacement for the one way water drains at the bottom of the air boxes? Both of mine have rotted out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72