air suspension leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nuchc

Reaction score
air leak

Ok last weekend I sprayed soap and water on the hoses near the airbags and couldn't see any leaks (not much hoses visible). With the batt diconnected the whole truck goes down so there has to be something in common. The front was slightly lower than the back. Any ideas guys. Thanks

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are three valve blocks. One for the front one for the rear and one for the compressor/air tank. For all to be going down you much have multiple leaks. At the air spring end of the line you will probably need to remove the air spring to see the fitting/spray with soap bubbles. (If your good with an inspection mirror you can probably get it while it is in place). The valve block is another place with a bunch of connections. Lastly the compressor and drier specifically the drier have been known to develop leaks. I have only ready of one failure of a split airline on an LR3 only other leaks I know of have been the drier and the air springs themselves...

tmcgraw

Reaction score
Just as a side note make sure to spray the soap on the fittings too not just the lines. You probably are but I keep seeing people use the term 'lines' and just want to be sure.

Normally a drop on both sides can be the valve by the compressor, unless as stated earlier, you might have multiple (I just don't think it's likely). Dryer lines do leak, enough so that we keep them in stock (most Rover dealers run a pretty lean inventory).

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air dryer is "common" to front and rear.

Ok last weekend I sprayed soap and water on the hoses near the airbags and couldn't see any leaks (not much hoses visible). With the batt disconnected the whole truck goes down so there has to be something in common. The front was slightly lower than the back. Any ideas guys. Thanks
This is a tough one. It is not theoretically possible for all four corners to drop about the same amount with the battery disconnected or F26E removed, yet it does. The fact that with the battery connected and power to the air system, it drops about double, that makes sense and indicates the auto level circuit is alive and well and doing its thing even if it is not what you desire.

In theory, when the system is depowered, the front and rear block valves fail closed and hence the air within the respective air springs is supposed to remain trapped within assuming no local leaks.

About all I can think is that both block valves are not sealing perfectly when depowered, (possible with age), and that there is a mechanical leak somewhere within the air compressor. Once air gets past each of the front and rear block valves, only the air compressor bits would hold that air within the system.

It is fairly easy to get at the compressor, (easier than the front block valve), to do a soap test so that is where I would start. The compressor covers and compressor probably needs cleaning anyway and there are lots of lines and connections within to test as well.

It is possible the air dryer plastic has developed a crack or the connecting seal is leaking. That is what I would check first and it would be a nice fault as replacing the air dryer is almost good routine maintenance and relatively easy to do.

The next logical leakage point would be internally - the mechanical relief valve, but that is hard to detect; next would be something called a delivery valve seal. The valve seal is possible as in early units it was the subject of a repair call up. Neither of these areas lend themselves to a soap test however as if air is leaking, it will just escape thru the exhaust lines as it is supposed to do or back thru the air inlet line - neither is easy to detect.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind for those with a dual battery setup, that also needs to be disconnected during these battery disconnect tests or the vehicle will still have power potentially, unless you completely disconnect it from the primary battery.

nuchc

Reaction score
I disconected the main batttery I dont think i have a second one unless it's hidden some where. I didn't think I would have so much trouble finding this leak. I checked the air bag connections with soap. There must a very small leak on a hose thats not visible. If there is a valve block in the front and one for the back once there is no power to open the valves how can the air leak from all corners unless all air bags are are leaking and that is very unlikely.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not necessarily the valve block itself that is leaking. You need to check each fitting/connection on the air lines Theses are the weak links and likely points of a leak, It is very unlikely that a leak will develop mid line.. In addition to the bladder potentially leaking on each spring. What were the overnight temperature swings? If it is much cooler during the night then the day the air density/temperature will reduce the actual air pressure with out leaking..

Sonies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi I have an lr3 2007 and when I park it over night I noticed the suspension is down. I think it's not an airbag or it would be down only on one corner. All corners are more or less even. Can anyone point me where to look for the leak.

are you sure its not the self leveling mechanism?

my truck lowers about an inch every time after I park it and lock the doors

nuchc

Reaction score
No it's not the self leveling because the batt was disconected. Ok I did another test. I tricked the truck into extended mode by placing a block under the chasis and lowering it.
Once in extended mode I removed the fuse f 26 in the engine compartment disabling the
suspension completly. The next morning the left front corner was down so the leak must be there. The only problem is I can't find it. The leak must be from the front valve block to the front left air bag. I'll let you know if i find it.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the air line, see if it feels funny near the elbow closest to the engine. It could also be the air bag seals. They can be replaced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM