Aluminum thermostat housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ebp02

Reaction score
I have been seeing these aluminum thermostat housings for a few weeks on eBay. I haven't found anyone who's tried them not have heard horror stories of the oem plastic ones failing but I may be wrong there.

Are the oem thermostat housings knowing for catastrophically failing/exploding? Is this going to be a worthwhile upgrade? Idk if I trust the thermostat they use in it so idk if cannibalising an OEM thermostat or sourcing one from the lr3 or other land rover product and sticking it in the aluminum housing is the move, same with the sensor on the housing, probably the OEM one would transfer over fine.

I already have the aluminum cross over pipes, the lil aluminum tube behind the water pump, the lil brass ****** thing and am about to install the rear aluminum manifold so I guess it'd be the time to install the aluminum thermostat in there while I'm at it.

2016 SCV6

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240411-123903.png
    Screenshot_20240411-123903.png
    396.7 KB · Views: 10

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I had the cross-over pipes done (V8) I asked the shop about replacing the thermostat, and they said there wasn't a need until it starts showing signs of issues, that they don't fail catastrophically. I don't know if failure mode relates the thermostat itself, or the housing, and if thermostat, whether it fails open, or fails closed... I hope not to find out.

ugmw177

Reaction score
i recently re-did my sons LR4 5.0 cooling parts which while i was i there i replaced the thermostat and housing. the car is a 2011 with 108k miles on it. the old housing seemed perfectly fine and was not brittle like the crossover tubes. Of course I did use oe JLR parts for this. like you i might use an aftermarket aluminum housing but never an el cheapo thermostat in these cars. I dont think the thermostat housing causes a lot of issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM