Annoying noise from seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive posted this before and Ive researched the forum but havent found anyone mentioning it so I will try here. There is a "ticking noise" (insert bomb jokes here) coming from my second row seats. Ive isolated it to the middle seat. The sound only comes in whenever I go over a bump on the road etc. I can sometimes reproduce the sound by grabbing onto the seatbelt housing of the middle seat and rocking it back and forth. The sound is coming from the base and sounds like plastic on plastic ticking. I look and look but cant seem to pinpoint the source. Anyone else have experienced this problem?

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem in my 2005. I found my comes from the single seat behind the passenger. When I hit a certain speed and a bump in the road, it wiggles back and fourth so quickly, you can't even see it, not to mention it's annoyingly loud too. Get someone to sit in the back behind the driver, and watch the headrest at around 60-75. That's when it does it for me.

I got it checked out at the dealer, and they told me "Seat vibration caused by non-oem tires". They did nothing to fix it, just said sorry... I had Mickey Thompsons on a Wrangler, and that might cause some shaking, but not All-Terrain Terra Grapplers, come on.

I posted the same topic on here a few months back, and no one else seemed to have the issue. I ended up just dealing with it and now I just listen to my stereo louder now. I wonder if I can tighten the bolt that holds the backrest to the seat, (if we do have the same issue of course) to maybe slow it down. Let me know if you ever get your dealer to check out, and they actually fix it. Btw do you have an 05?

Last edited:

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep..I have an 05 HSE. Mine is not coming from the headrest but definitely towards the bottom, either under the seat cushion or the base. The strange thing about this?
1/ Only happens once in awhile.
2/ I originally thought it was the seat behind the driver seat so I would fold down that seat which took the noise away (weird). But now, Ive isolated the sound as definitely from the middle seat, yet, when I have the rear driver side folded down, the noise still goes away (weird 2), and when I do fold the middle seat down, the sound still goes away. So my bandage remedy is to leave the middle seat folded down. But I am slowly (through the process of elimination) pinpointed the exact locale of the noise. I havent tried tightening the bolts (not standard bolts, so I gotta get the tool for it).

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion to both. Have someone drive your truck while you lay in the back listening for the noise. If I had to guess it would either be a lose bolt that secures the seats to the chasis or an under-seat component that rattles every once now and then. If you look closely under the seats the next time you fold them up, you'll notice that the brace bars have felt strips attached to them, maybe some of your fell off at some point.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks USAbuckeye..the problem for me is that I think the sound is coming from the middle seat which doesnt fold up. Which makes looking under a tad challenging..

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'll take a look under mine too. By the way I didn't mean that my headrest itself shakes. I meant that you can see the back part of the seat shakes, and you can see the headrest moving just so slightly.

Thanks for the tips, we'll see what happens.

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, I open this thread thinking I'd find some solution to the annoying noises generated by SWMBO from the passenger seat! :biggrin:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, and i'm still trying to figure out what that acronym is...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72