Another Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had cruise set on 40mph. I look down and see yet another amber glowing engine light. I pulled over and checked all fluids and nothing was low. I had the t-stat and thermostat housing replaced along with the breather valve for the hoses at the LR dealership about 1,000 miles ago. I did an oil change myself about 150 miles ago. I didn't bother to take it in to have the oil reset indicator reset. Would this cause the light to appear? I'm going to have the codes read ASAP.

Last edited:

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check engine light opens up so many possibilities, that without puling codes out, you can only guess...

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Code read as P-0159: "circuit condition(Heated oxygen sensor bank sensor 2.) The power train control module uses the oxygen sensor to calculate the air/fuel ratio in the exhaust." P-0159 is a "defective oxygen sensor". Has anyone had to replace their sensor before due to this same occurrence? If so is it easy to do or should I take it in to the dealer? I checked online and the prices for the sensor range from $27-$200 depending on brand, length, and wires. Also, is it safe to drive for a few days until it's repaired?

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you pm me an email i can add you to the topix google doc. You are looking for 303-14B, you may be able to talk the service center at your dealership to print it for you as well

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not heard much about the O2 sensors going bad at all. Noticed you menitoned you just did your first oil change also. Any chance you disturbed the O2 sensors or wires when you changed the oil and messed with the skid plate? (When I do mine, I put a small bottle jack under the skid plate in the middle. This allows it to very easily lower and raise with zero effort.)

Also, check your oil level. Any chance it is overfilled and blow by oil is fouling the O2 sensor?

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the oil has anything to do with it as I added exactly 8 quarts of Mobil1 synthetic. I checked and re-checked the level the each day of the week I changed it. The only thing I figured that could have fouled the sensor(It's just one sensor that is defective according to the computer. Bank 2 Sensor 2) is a fuel additive I put in the gas tank after I did the oil change. I have heard mixed things about whether the sensors could go out randomly. I have 86,300 miles on mine and its 7 years old so I'm sure that may have something to do with it going out. I have an appointment scheduled for Monday morning at the dealer to have it replaced.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99