Another Coolant / Cross Over Pipe leak...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wthammett

Reaction score
So back in April/March time frame I had the cross-over pipe coolant leak, had the mechanic change it plus a few little plastic pipes as I remember along with the thermostat and water pump. last few days I smelled coolant, sure enough there is a small puddle underneath the tranny area - just like before. Checked around the radiator and bone dry - ARRRGGGGGGG. Damn I did not want to get back in there but don't know what else it could be, and no leaks for months so wondering why now? Anyone else have these things leak after they replaced them?

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my crossover pipe replaced and it started leaking immediately. Faulty part, it was leaking on the seam.

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my water pump and crossover pipe done at the dealer, I intentionally had it done at the dealer to avoid this kinda issues. I think moving forward who ever needs to replace their water pump and crossover pipe should at least buy the parts from the dealer since they have the most updated parts. Inde's will always use an aftermarket brand. One could loose an engine over this dammmm crossover pipe.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This crossover pipe must be a warm weather issue. I asked the service manager at a LR dealer here in the Boston area if I should replace the crossover pipe. His answer was that he has heard of the issue online but has never seen one leaking in our area.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This crossover pipe must be a warm weather issue. I asked the service manager at a LR dealer here in the Boston area if I should replace the crossover pipe. His answer was that he has heard of the issue online but has never seen one leaking in our area.

That's very interesting. Especially coming from the Boston area, where there is a significant population of LR4's (and LR's in general).

I had that low-coolant scare in Montreal, but checked it when I got back to Boston and could find no leaks even up on the lift. I'll keep an eye on it.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your coolant level is low and you don't see an obvious leak it's probably the water pump. My wife's LR4 coolant level kept dropping but no visible leaks or fluid on the ground. Turned out to be a slowly seeping water pump leak.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your coolant level is low and you don't see an obvious leak it's probably the water pump. My wife's LR4 coolant level kept dropping but no visible leaks or fluid on the ground. Turned out to be a slowly seeping water pump leak.

I'm assuming that is what it is.

wthammett

Reaction score
Just had my water pump and crossover pipe done at the dealer, I intentionally had it done at the dealer to avoid this kinda issues. I think moving forward who ever needs to replace their water pump and crossover pipe should at least buy the parts from the dealer since they have the most updated parts. Inde's will always use an aftermarket brand. One could loose an engine over this dammmm crossover pipe.

I'll take it back to the Indy who did the work - for the record they used all LR parts for the initial job. I'll update back on what the issue was.

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take it back to the Indy who did the work - for the record they used all LR parts for the initial job. I'll update back on what the issue was.
Never trust a mechanic, they're worse than used car salesmen, if you did not purchase the parts yourself from an LR dealer and watch the parts go in then you have no proof he used/bought LR parts.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover struggled with the water pump design for quite a few years. There was many part number changes for it. I learned my lesson when I bought a cheap reman pump and it lasted aabout 3 months. The replacement was aftermarket was a third party one as well but with warranty on parts and labour so it was ok. So far so good on that one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9