Another newbie to the world of LR's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all! First, I must say that I really enjoy this site and have been reading posts enough to make my head spin. It's a good thing though. Anyways, my wife and I just picked up a '98 Disco about three weeks ago with 87k on the clock.

My background had been with Fords, more specifically Rangers. So I'm completely new to LR's. I've had three Rangers in the past and all have served very well, except now with two kids, we have outgrown the Ranger. I've wheeled my Rangers and I'm looking forward to wheelin' our new Disco.

Plans for our Disco. Not too sure yet but the general maintenance is the first to get out of the way. Fix the missing stereo components, ie CD magazine, replace crappy speakers and figure out why the factory subs aren't wired? I also need to work on freeing up the CDL linkage so I can actually have 4wd.

I just now found that the passenger side floorboard is moist, so I'll have to add that to my to do list. Eventually, I would like to lift the truck and fit 255's on it with a regear, lockers and upgraded axles.

I look forward to getting the issues sorted out with my truck and meeting up with some folks here for some trail time. Also, any suggestions for what to do to the Disco next would be appreciated, as I know very little about these vehicles.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike,
My passenger side floor was wet when I bought my rover. I just took it to the dealer and they used pressurized air to blow out the A/C tubing. Junk came out, and I never had any problems again.

Welcome aboard!

D

discomike

Mike,
Welcome to the world of Rovers and oil leaks. just kidding I think.
I have a 99 D2 and have done many of the things you have mentioned to my truck, you will love the out come.
First of all, it is not unusual to find the t/case shifter hard to shift into lock. If you try to force it you may bend the linkage, so go under neath the truck with some WD40 or the like and try to spray all the t/case linkage. If tha won't loosen it up, you may have to go through the console and clean and spray the linkage from the top. Once it is corrected , and as long as you use it once in awhile, you'll be fine.
As for tires, which 255's are you talking about, 16" or 18"? If your going to 16"ers, go for 265/75/16's with a 2" lift and go crazy.
I looked at lockers for quite some time and settled on a Detroit in the rear with a T.T. in the front along with the 4:11's and H.D. rear axlea whcih you'll need to handle the Detroit.
Once you're done, you'll have one climbing machine.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm having computer issues and I could not respond sooner.

I appreciate the advice Mike J. I'm going to try that with my t-case linkage as soon as I'm not playing daddy daycare anymore. :wink: I was wondering how the tt is working out for you? Do you do any driving on snowy roads with it? Just curious how it handled with the tt and the detroit and if the 4.11's are low enough for ya?

Thanks again,
Mike

D

discomike

The big plus for the T.T. was the fact that it is a gear driven limited slip that will give you easily 80% of what the detroit will give and you can steer with it, unlike an ARB.
For me, the combination works really well, people have often asked me what I have done to my truck, after coming off a trail which I had no problems on and they had to work to even try and keep up.
Haven't tried in in deep snow yet, I have been on light snow and ice with no problems.
As for the gears, The gears work for me, besides, no body makes 4:88's for our diffs. so what the heck.
Let me know how you progress with your mods. and if you have any questions.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front TT is great tool. Makes life on highway kind of funky, but its nothing you cant get used to.

D

discomike

Sergei,
What is funky about the way the T.T. handles on the highway?
Everybody that has driven my truck says it made a hugh positive effect of the steering, it is more centered and stabil.
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of trying to free up the shift linkage to the CDL. Do you guys know if I have to remove the four bolts that houses the shift rod to get in there and clean or lube it?

I've already got a k&n filter and plan to change the spark plugs but not sure which brand to get? I was thinking of Bosch but wanted your guys' opinions first.

The sparkplug wires are next and I've got an idea on those already. Also today, I was able to drain the front diff and put Mobil 1 synth stuff in there. Next is the rear end and the t-case. The u-joints were filled with grease also.

I'm also planning to have the transmission and radiator flushed. Besides attending to the fuel filter, btw I have no idea where it is, what should be next as far as preventative maintenance?

Disco Mike said:
As for the gears, The gears work for me, besides, no body makes 4:88's for our diffs. so what the heck.
Mike J.

So I take it that 4.56's or similar aren't available for these things?

TIA,
Mike

Last edited:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.11, 4.70, 4.75 are pretty much your only aftermarket options, unless you feel like swapping for toyota 3rd members & etc, then you got wider choice.

Plugs - Bosch are good, but if truck is older than few years, consider motorvac before sticking them in. They arent very tolerant of dirty running engine (they are getting contaminated very fast and that would compromise running).

Wires - Magnecor's are probably cheapest out of all the supreme stuff (around 80$ vs around 400+$) and will make your engine way happier.

As on regular things - when u filled u-joints with grease, did fresh one came out from all locations? Should be, or old baked grease will still be in there. Drain rear diff too. Drain and refill. Swivel balls - check preload, check level of grease/oil, add as needed. At this mileage i'd consider checking suspension, b/c its about time to get at least shocks changed, as well as steering dampener. Battery may be too. Red top will make life way nicer. Also at this mileage you rapidly approaching moment when your O2 sensors becoming bad, and your fuel pump going south. Cleaning out IAC (stepper motor) may be good idea, cleaning out crankcase breather filter and lines. Cleaning out stupid T-piece section in air lines , butterfly plate in air intake as well... Checking out vacuum rubber lines.. Lubing throttle cable pulling springs and stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM