Anyone install an electric brake control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stonecutter

Reaction score
I'm considering a new LR4 in a few months.
I see they have a pretty substantial towing capacity, but a quick search here show no results for an electric brake controller add on.
I can't imagine towing more than a ton or so without trailer brakes. My current vehicle, a MB GL450, was somewhat complicated to add a controller to.
I'd love to hear from anyone who has successfully added this aftermarket accessorie to a LR4.

TIA,
David in MD

DonFromCanada

Reaction score
I'm considering a new LR4 in a few months.
I see they have a pretty substantial towing capacity, but a quick search here show no results for an electric brake controller add on.
I can't imagine towing more than a ton or so without trailer brakes. My current vehicle, a MB GL450, was somewhat complicated to add a controller to.
I'd love to hear from anyone who has successfully added this aftermarket accessorie to a LR4.

TIA,
David in MD

Easiest thing in the world. Don't pay a dealer to do this - you;'re just throwing your money away. It uses a Ford F150 brake controller connector, and is located above the brake pedal. You loosen a piece of trim with two screws and plug it in - the tuck the trim back up and run the cable to the mounting point.. mine is above my left knee (on a LHD truck)

dougdep

Reaction score
Easiest thing in the world. Don't pay a dealer to do this - you;'re just throwing your money away. It uses a Ford F150 brake controller connector, and is located above the brake pedal. You loosen a piece of trim with two screws and plug it in - the tuck the trim back up and run the cable to the mounting point.. mine is above my left knee (on a LHD truck)

so i have a 2012 lr4 and have had the dealer install the towing electronics and hitch and all that good stuff. the only thing i need is an aftermarket electric brake controller. is it really as simple as stated above? will a prodigy controller with connector cable just simply plug into a port above the brake pedal??

DonFromCanada

Reaction score
so i have a 2012 lr4 and have had the dealer install the towing electronics and hitch and all that good stuff. the only thing i need is an aftermarket electric brake controller. is it really as simple as stated above? will a prodigy controller with connector cable just simply plug into a port above the brake pedal??

Yes, it is that easy. I moved the controller from the left knee to the upper glove box for a more stealth look, as I was always bumping my knee on it... I used the TruControl Gold II from Hensley hitches... look them up - they make Prodigy's look like kiddie controllers.

You tell it the weight, and it works the rest out - no more tuning issues!

http://hensleymfg.com/products/trucontrol-brake-controllers-2/

My only complaint was somewhat lacking installation docs, as it didn't mention I needed a permanent 12v connection to retain the weight settings... just ran an extra wire and DONE.

I used about 3$ worth of butt connectors, .99c worth of generic vehicle low voltage wire from the local auto store, and picked up the connector from Princess Auto for real cheap (can't remember the exact price, but it was under 15$)

If you want, PM me, and I can email you some pics of my setup... REALLY easy install...

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bumping up an old thread...I have a 2016 LR4 and want to know if I can still use the Ford brake controller?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a tekonsha 90195 p3. 123$ on amazon. Five minute install. Great controller.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We love our Tekonsha Prodigy which works thru Bluetooth. Absolutely no installation on the tow vehicle but mounts only to the trailer, perfect for multiple tow vehicles with a single trailer.

Gusterson

Reaction score
Do all LR 4 have the hook up for the electronic brake controller? Can’t seem to find it,, trying not to pull panel completely off.. maybe that’s the issues

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use the Prodigy (Bluetooth) and love it. Absolutely no install on the LR, just plug it in. Of course the hitch cover comes off anyway, exposing the 7-pin connector.

Felixlatorre

Reaction score
Yes. All LR4 use the same plug.
Tekonsha 3035-P Brake Control Wiring Adapter for Ford. I have 2016 LR4 and that’s the plug i am using and yes is strait foward plug and play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM