Anyone Interested In Group Buy: Sump Guard For the Discovery 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the 8mm Mantec is soooo expensive? Is it the material that costs so dang much cuz it seems that there should be a surplus of alumimmmmnum with all the beer cans being recycled lately since all the lay-offs and what not... :-/

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a flippin joke. I just paid $370 or so shipped from the UK. Turns out my 6mm is marine grade, high strength aluminum and is powder coated. Sorry folks, but even going to a local custom fabricator will be cheaper than $524, IMO.[/COLOR
"
And yet , you did not go to your friendly local custom fabricator ....although you promised IIRC,a few surprises for LR3 world....hmmmmm "

I cannot believe the price gouging going on in the domestic US Land Rover market. Everything and I really do mean everything is cheaper is you order directly from vendors in the UK. Maybe if we all go over there, the US vendors will smarten up a bit. :argh:
[

Thanks to your post nr.73, that should belong to threads ,that you started for this particular reason(mods plenty and... the other...),yes, yes ...your little comment started a war between two vendors my friend and now we are ,AGAIN,limited to thinner,less appealing RLD plate or ridiculously overpriced Mantec.THIS thread was designed for a group buy,the biggest group purchase that this site will ever see,i think and you should feel at least a little responsible for silly intervention.
We live in Capitalism and a little competition means that market breaths healthier and forces us to bring more to the table to stay in particular field .Neil actually took one step farther than RLD and ventured into US market making friends,sharing the ideas and discussing designs and needs.If Ray wanted to make more money ,he probably should have step in HERE long time a go and make propositions,well , he did not and he and others get to bash Neil little comment about RLD product on this site?We need more products on the market ,not less and thanks to few individuals and simple jealousy ,we just lost a good engineers and their bright ideas.Guy actually reached across the pond and he immediately got thrashed for helping others.
Well,Bigs,as you already know ,it ain't that easy marketing products,otherwise you would be making a few products yourself,right?Instead of bashing every single vendor in this country,try to live up to your promises ,regarding few fabs,after all you are an engineer and tool nut,although your garage does not even remotely resembles a engineers place and ..aahhh,your comment about being to cold for plate installation..?not to engineers worthy,it takes a garage and a few basic mechanical skills,if any ,takes five minutes ...really....And all that wining about prices comes from a guy who owned PORSCHE?I thought luxury comes with price,but do i know...i am just a furious and upset guy , who had to many glasses of wine this evening,..good night..:stupid:

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[

Thanks to your post nr.73, that should belong to threads ,that you started for this particular reason(mods plenty and... the other...),yes, yes ...your little comment started a war between two vendors my friend and now we are ,AGAIN,limited to thinner,less appealing RLD plate or ridiculously overpriced Mantec.THIS thread was designed for a group buy,the biggest group purchase that this site will ever see,i think and you should feel at least a little responsible for silly intervention.
We live in Capitalism and a little competition means that market breaths healthier and forces us to bring more to the table to stay in particular field .Neil actually took one step farther than RLD and ventured into US market making friends,sharing the ideas and discussing designs and needs.If Ray wanted to make more money ,he probably should have step in HERE long time a go and make propositions,well , he did not and he and others get to bash Neil little comment about RLD product on this site?We need more products on the market ,not less and thanks to few individuals and simple jealousy ,we just lost a good engineers and their bright ideas.Guy actually reached across the pond and he immediately got thrashed for helping others.
Well,Bigs,as you already know ,it ain't that easy marketing products,otherwise you would be making a few products yourself,right?Instead of bashing every single vendor in this country,try to live up to your promises ,regarding few fabs,after all you are an engineer and tool nut,although your garage does not even remotely resembles a engineers place and ..aahhh,your comment about being to cold for plate installation..?not to engineers worthy,it takes a garage and a few basic mechanical skills,if any ,takes five minutes ...really....And all that wining about prices comes from a guy who owned PORSCHE?I thought luxury comes with price,but do i know...i am just a furious and upset guy , who had to many glasses of wine this evening,..good night..:stupid:

1st and foremost - as I mentioned previously, I ordered my plate a couple of weeks prior to you guys starting this thread up. I mentioned it early on that I had and it was requested that I post photos when my plate arrived.

Allow me to summarize my answers to keep it simple.

#1 - You're responding after drinking
#2 - A couple of folks wanted me to post photos for reference, I did.
#3 - If 2mm of material is a problem, don't buy the freakin thing. I could care less.
#4 - It's whining, not "wining". However, you have been wine-ing. :tongue:
#5 - Cold - yes. It was. And I was being lazy. My choice. Don't like it? Too bad.
#6 - I have built my own race car from the ground up in that garage. It took a little over a year. Ground up tear down and rebuild. Happy to share photos. I have crap load.
#7 - Yes, I came over form the Porsche world. And technically their parts come from farther away. With that said, aftermarket Porsche vendors don't add 80%+ to the cost of the part. Standard practice in the the parts industry is approx 20-25%. Please... I have already done the research. I'll be happy to post part examples, prices and vendor locations if I have to. I can't help it if most are to lazy to use Google.
#8 - Never said I was an engineer. I am an Industrial Designer. Slight difference.
#9 - I have designed and fab'ed my own parts. And, plan on making some rear spare tire swing arms in the future - maybe.

Lastly - the response by ADULTS that has gone on over on Disco3 has been shameful. I posted that I had absolutely no affiliation with Ray. Nor with Neil. I merely posted that there are options. That leaves a choice up to the ADULTS that want either. Was Neil losing money? Who knows. Was Ray getting the business? I have no idea. Was my post responsible for this whole situation? Heck no. The reactions by clearly overly sensitive ADULTS caused this whole fiasco. Not a simple posting.

You guys don't need me to make up your own minds. Your all ADULTS now. sheesh...

Last edited:

Neild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

In deffence of Bigs, this was not his bone - he did nothing wrong at all - give him some space.

Its down to one person quoting me from here and taking it out of context and ***** stirring.

This is nothing new and this follows 6 months of constant abuse from a small clique on the Disco3.co.uk forum. You can see our statement we prepared which explains a lot.

We nearly quite before Christmas but gave it another shot - like all you, we have good jobs and run good businesses and GNVP was a small sideline to help fellow owners - we made minimal mark up as we wanted to pass on the items quickly and cheaply to our fellow friends.

Alas all the ***** and grief is not worth £30 a guard........

Take care guys and many thanks. I hope you find solace in new kit soon. I feel bad I've let you down but I cant take anymore.

The thread: http://www.gnvehicleprotection.co.uk/thread.pdf

Neil

Last edited:

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

In deffence of Bigs, this was not his bone - he did nothing wrong at all - give him some space.

Thanks Neil. I appreciate it. I can certainly empathize with your position. Been there. No fun. Good luck to you.

and...if you are interested in some custom side work - let me know.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow guys are we talkin skidplates or ego's. choice is a freedom of America, but so are high prices. thats why the groupbuy was started. lets focus at hand. the bottom line is i still have a plastic POS front cover plate that is half falling off. So any kind of plate other than stock it way better than what we got. ill post results when i hear back from rovers north.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a kick out of the brits calling us their less sophisticated cousins, then proceeding to bicker like 3rd graders. Actions>words...

Neild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a kick out of the brits calling us their less sophisticated cousins, then proceeding to bicker like 3rd graders. Actions>words...

Trouble is Roverman, or maybe not trouble, but the guys are ***** - simple as.

The uk version of 'trailer trash'...

bigcarpchaser

Reaction score
I dare say the continuation of this topic will be quoted in the near future to knock Neil and I again....and again....and again...
It all became a bit of a mess, agreed. But we can only take so much fella's.
Funny how something that had no relevance to some of the people concerned seems to get them all hot under the collar..again.
It would be fair enough if Neil had actually done what he's been accused off and slagged Ray's plate, but I can't see where he did? Mere pointed out that ours was thicker.
Wow...crime of the century, lol.
Anyway, to reiterate what Neil said, nothing to do with Bigs post, it's been going on for a while now so not his fault.
Some dudes just like to gob off to make themselves look like heroes to the sheep.

I wish you all a pleasant evening/day or whatever it is over there :hello:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I haven't really followed this whole 'episode' very closely, but was 1/2 considering joining the group buy. I am curious though, why would you let some annoying and childish posters prevent you from carrying out your idea of making the plates? I'm not getting the logic of that, but as I said I haven't followed it closely and maybe I'm missing something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72