anyone running dedicated snow tires, if so which ones?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DiscoFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we got our first snow here in western PA tonight and I realized how bad these tires are in snow and ice. I got to thinking about running some dedicated snow tires like i ran on my Audi A4, which turned that car into a tank. If any of you guys run them please let me know which ones. I am on tirerack.com and they only have the bridgestone duellers in stock, which judging by the customer reviews are kick-ass tires, but any other suggestions. Tirerack also has listed the Pireli scorpions, but they are special order. Thanks

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never run a "snow" tire, but I've always had great luck with BF Goodrich All terrains. Basically any off-road tire are usually good in the snow.

You did mention the scorpions, and let me tell you, I have those on the rear of my Jeep, and they SUCK. I've read good reviews on them, and maybe it has to do with the light weight of the Jeep - maybe they are better on a heavy vehicle - but even in light rain I go sliding all over the place. I've run the BFGs on Many a Jeep I've had and they are great in anything.

D

disco1

There's no magic tyre that will suit all situations. As we don't get much snow or ice in Australia, I cannot recommend any brand over another, however, getting your current tyres sipped or studded may help but either way when driving in snow/ice; Drive gently, accelerate gently, brake gently. Steer with the fingertips, be loose, and respond lightly.
If the vehicle will not stop, turn the steering wheel fully to one side and use the ‘ploughing’ effect of the front wheels to assist stopping.
If a slide begins, get off the accelerator and steer into the direction of the slideuntil it has been corrected, then gently correct into the direction required to continue (not easy to do if the slide starts and you panic).
Stopping on an upward slope can mean difficulties getting under way again.
Depending on the conditions, engage diff lock and/or axle lockers and use
low range 1st to 5th.

Good luck!

D

disco1

I agree with HEEM! I run BF Goodrich tyres on both my Disco's and they are terrific.
They are more expensive than a lot of other brands but you only get what you pay for!

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the storm patterns, we often have tons of snow here in Utah and I have always been running stock tires (Goodyear) with no problems. We don't get the ice though that the east coast does so I can only reference snow drive-ability. The biggest advantage with driving a LR in the snow is the 4x4 system. It doesn't negate the need for good tires or smart driving, but it does provide a great advantage over other 2-wheel AND 4x4 drive systems.

S

Steve

I run BFG Mudders out here in sunny California, San Diego to be exact. Partly for the look, but I do snowboard in my local mountain and sand and sometimes mud in the desert and Mexico, nothing is better! I run 245/75/16s.

DiscoFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually what i would probably do with the snows, if i got some, would be to only run them in the winter months. That is kinda what i was getting at. I would just get some cheapy steel wheels to run them on. Thanks again

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
discofever said:
I would just get some cheapy steel wheels to run them on.
And those "cheapy steel wheels" are great for putting your off-road tires on, should you decide to run multiple sets of tires.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge