Anyone using 285/60/18 BFG AT KO2s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
Any of you guys wearing 285/60/18 BFG AT KO2s yet? I need to get some tires this week and I was thinking I would replace my Nitto Terra Grapplers with the BFGs, but I was wonder if the BFGs clear everything just as well. I've never had issues with my Nittos, but I want the severe weather rating on the AT KO2s this time around.

Best regards,

Dave

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not just get the more ideal size for factory 8" wide wheels which is 265/65x18 ? 285/60 really isn't the best ratio for the 8" wheel. I've had them both. I'm also pretty sure that often the 285/60 ratio is not E load range and often SL or barely within factory recommendation.

drew

Reaction score
Here you go bro. Have fun. http://johnsonrods.com/johnson_rods_2_004.htm

Any of you guys wearing 285/60/18 BFG AT KO2s yet? I need to get some tires this week and I was thinking I would replace my Nitto Terra Grapplers with the BFGs, but I was wonder if the BFGs clear everything just as well. I've never had issues with my Nittos, but I want the severe weather rating on the AT KO2s this time around.

Best regards,

Dave

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Best regards,

Dave

Just be aware the size 285/60x18 is a D load range 118 which is better than simply XL.

Most people use E load range if loading up with aftermarket bumpers and other heavy items.

drew

Reaction score
The tires are .79 inches wider than 265/65R18. I would recommend adding at the minimum some 3/4 inch spacers to avoid any potential rubbing.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tires are .79 inches wider than 265/65R18. I would recommend adding at the minimum some 3/4 inch spacers to avoid any potential rubbing.

He's not comparing to 265/65x18 ... as I read the post he was using the Nitto TG in 285/60x18 already.

That depends more on each vehicle as the gap varies by production. I first had the Nitto 285/60x10 and there was never any rubbing against the upper control arm which is the only reason one should use a spacer.

Spacers actually reduce clearance in all other movements of the tire through it's turning arcs in addition to clearance issues as full articulation when the tire stuffs up into the fender liner.

Considering the cost and hassle of quality spacers, one should realize the better fitting 265/65x18 is the smarter choice.

The wider 285/60 shape does look cool but it's inferior in other aspect.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That....and an IIDTool is a better investment for lifting (and other functions) than the Johnson Rods.

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
Just be aware the size 285/60x18 is a D load range 118 which is better than simply XL.

Most people use E load range if loading up with aftermarket bumpers and other heavy items.

I guess I wasn't getting my email notifications as this thread was being updated. Thanks for taking the time to put in your input; It was all quite useful. I gave the load rating some thought and the D-rated BFGs are rated higher than the Nitto TGs. I like the idea of having an E-rated tire, but I'm not doing any real off-roading these days and the most we're doing is spirited road trips (no aftermarket bumpers, sliders, etc). I had a 285/60R/18 spare, so I just rolled with it for now.

I probably wouldnt have even bothered with BFG AT KO2 at all except I've always been uneasy about having to maybe drive through some snowy roads and not having the ability to run chains. These are at least better off than the Nitto TGs.

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
Just to update I got the tires mounted today and as expected there isn't any rubbing. The tire overall looks narrower.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9