Are Voss Fittings One Time Use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here we go with another air suspension woes thread...

Backstory... Blew out my front drivers side air strut in Moab a few months ago. Limped it off the trail, got it home, and ordered up new struts. New struts came and I installed both the driver and passenger side.

Passenger side has been fine, however after driving, I could hear a very slow leak that lasts for about 30 seconds after engine shutdown on the drivers side. I decided to swap in the old (but not leaking) air strut and see if my new strut was bad. Same leak, in fact it got a little worse. So I figured it was the VOSS fitting that was no good, or since I reused it, it was leaking.

I ordered a new VOSS fitting (https://www.amazon.com/RMT-LR00-A319-AD4U-Suspension-Connector-Fitting/dp/B07D7M8WPQ) which I believe is genuine. Installed it (with the new strut this time), same problem. Still leaking.

Now I figured that I was possibly doing something wrong, or that I damaged the air line. After having the voss fitting on and off the air line a few times it got a little chewed up, so I hesitantly cut it back for a clean cut, and gave it another go... Still leaks. I measured how far the air line has been going into the fitting, and it is adequate.

Now I'm stuck... I have tried new fittings, essentially a new air line, and two different struts. It's also nearly impossible to leak test with soapy water, since it only leaks for a short duration after the car is shutdown. Can't do it while running because the radiator fan is blowing too much air around.

I just read through their technical data https://www.voss-automotive.net/fil...duktinformation/203_Assembly_Instructions.pdf

I don't appear to be doing anything wrong. Maybe I'll try giving the air line a hard tug tomorrow morning to engage the compression fitting ring.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, that would be great, as I'm almost out of ideas. My last idea is to once again try a new VOSS fitting, cut back the airline a hair again so its perfectly smooth, and try again.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can reuse them, in a bind. The o-ring and the compression sleeve can't be damaged.
Also, make sure the fitting is not cross threaded in the air bag.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
WAYYYY off target, but maybe food for thought...

I just finished installing a new flow through water heater and it required several new brass fittings.
In the old days, by cracky, we used Teflon tape on the threads and it was sealed, no problem.
These new fittings must be different, made with looser specifications, because the very same roll of Teflon tape cannot seal anymore, and new Teflon tape cannot seal either.

I needed to revert to old tech and use pipe dope, although the new stuff is Teflon based....

Just a suggestion to check the thread seals...

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually forgot to post this last night.

I bought a shrader valve to 6mm push to connect and some spare 6mm air line. I pressure tested both air struts up to 125 PSI (high as my compressor will go) and they don’t leak.

This entire problem is baffling me and I’m ready to give up and take it to an Indy.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE/RESOLVED!!!

So this is somewhat embarrassing but also a relief.

Nothing is leaking in the air suspension system. The air conditioner compressor is hissing...

Had my car idling in the driveway, shut it off and heard the hissing. I turned on my flashers and raised and lowered the air suspension with the key fob (engine off) and heard no change in the hissing.

Realization hit me and I figured it had to be the air conditioning. Shut the air conditioning off, ran the car for a bit, shutdown, no hissing. Turned the AC on, ran the car for a bit, shut it off, hissing sound.

The confusing part was it was coming from the drivers side wheel well, and the hissing started right as I replaced the air struts.......

Anyways the saga of Land Rover maintenance continues.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is hood-up/flashers on a secret handshake to allow the suspension height to change while the engine is off? Presumably you had the ignition on, just not the engine?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is hood-up/flashers on a secret handshake to allow the suspension height to change while the engine is off? Presumably you had the ignition on, just not the engine?
You only need the flashers on. You don't even need the ignition on or any doors/hood opened.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72