Bad Idle AFTER changing spark plugs - Help appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xcdiesel

Reaction score
This is my first post, and would like some help from the forum. I have 105k on my 06 LR3 so I decided to change the spark plugs (something I have done on other vehicles with no problem). The truck was rough idling slightly upon startup and when stopped, so I hoped this might help.

I purchased the oem plugs from auto zone and torqued them in to the 18lbs recommended by the Rave guide. It said to torque the coil screws to 4lbs but my wrench didn't go that low, so I tightened them with a normal wrench.

After install the truck now idles way rougher than before! It jumps from 500-1000 rpms back and forth and now I have the "Reduced Engine Perfomance" notification. Ironically, when I drive it for a few it idles perfectly (even though the reduced engine performance still is present).

I have double checked all connections and everything is correct. Could it be a bad plug? I didn't check gap settings as I was told the plugs come with factory gap already set. Can the error message be read by an OBD tool from the local parts store? or does it require a specialized tool?

Thanks in advance!

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always check the gap. Pregap plugs can get shifted around during storage. Did you try unplugging the battery for a reset? Shouldn't have to but these trucks are so iffy.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also may be worth it to clean your throttle body plate and housing. There is also a current thread discusiing this but usually a rough idle leads to a gunked up throttle body or mass air flow sensor.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd the throttle body. If you haven't done it yet, it's definitely overdue anyway.

Xcdiesel

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I took the MAF off and cleaned it as well as the throttle body. It now starts perfect with perfect idle! Here's a pic of the throttle body. I'm assuming this was the culprit. Maybe the new spark plugs just intensified the issue? Nonetheless, it's fixed. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 28

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, good to hear she is back up and running smoothly!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9