BCM SDD Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All!

So, I'm at that point in my infotainment swap where I have to push outside my knowledge zone. Mainly this pertains to the fact that I've tracked my last gremlin to the CJB/BCM differences between the 2012 and 2010 LR4's.

Here's my dilemma: I need to swap a 2012/13 CJB/BCM into my 2010 to make the full 2012+ Bosch infotainment swap work completely.

Here are my options:

1. I have a used BCM from a 2013 and can use the SDD tool to program it. However, if I autodetect the VIN using the SDD tool, it'll most likely program it to 2010 specs. (I'm not sure, this is one of my questions for the SDD pros out there). If I use a VIN from a 2012/2013 instead of autodetecting the VIN, will it program the VIN I entered? or will it transfer the VIN from the IPC or KVM?

2. I could purchase a new CJB/BCM for a 2013. My question is this, if I plug it into my 2010, and attempt to start the car, will it auto program the 2010 vehicle VIN to it? I understand the car isn't going to start until I program the new module, but if it pulls the VIN in automatically, I then feel like I can use a random VIN from a 2013 to "gain" the new module into the system with the correct software loads.

3. I'm sure there are some differences internally, but since everything but the infotainment is 2010 LR4, would it be possible to flash the 2010 module with firmware for a 2013 and have it still function? (Yes I know this may be a guess, but I’m looking for advice)

Those are my three options for ways to solve my problem. I'm almost there! The system powers up, I can pair my phone and the satellite radio works too! I just need to get the Infotainment system to talk to the LR4 systems.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I've already swapped my instrument cluster for a 2013 one. (I flashed the eeprom, updating the VIN, security key and mileage so they match the 2010....and yes, I've started the car to make sure everything works).

Ok, I'm standing by! Please let me know so I can buy the new one if needed!!!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the vendor I was working with made me an offer on the fresh CJB I just couldn’t refuse…so the new one is on its way. Once I get back in town I now have 3 different ways to go about trying to get it to work correctly!

Failure is not an option as I’m in way too deep to go back now!

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knowing nothing about this, I would expect firmware images to be based on the board model/revision numbers and not model year. At least that's how I would design the system...

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knowing nothing about this, I would expect firmware images to be based on the board model/revision numbers and not model year. At least that's how I would design the system...
That makes too much sense…clearly LR didn’t do it that way! LOL!!!!

I think you’re right, sorta. I believe the firmware is indeed tied to different hardware revisions, as in my case, the difference between 2010/11 and 2012/13 would be the Denso based infotainment and the Bosch Infotainment.

However, in addition to generic hardware differences, there are a lot of different modules that have different firmware versions based on what options/configurations the vehicle came with.

While it makes a little sense, you would think it would be easier from a coding standpoint to build a common backbone with inherent logic to constantly adapt to whatever is or isn’t attached.

That said, I’m not a coding genius, and it may be that’d be too easy to hack and steal…so as long as they make it extremely specific and finicky it keeps people like us from screwing with it too much, so they can make money when we pay them to mess with it instead! LOL

drtoney67

Reaction score
Hey All!

So, I'm at that point in my infotainment swap where I have to push outside my knowledge zone. Mainly this pertains to the fact that I've tracked my last gremlin to the CJB/BCM differences between the 2012 and 2010 LR4's.

Here's my dilemma: I need to swap a 2012/13 CJB/BCM into my 2010 to make the full 2012+ Bosch infotainment swap work completely.

Here are my options:

1. I have a used BCM from a 2013 and can use the SDD tool to program it. However, if I autodetect the VIN using the SDD tool, it'll most likely program it to 2010 specs. (I'm not sure, this is one of my questions for the SDD pros out there). If I use a VIN from a 2012/2013 instead of autodetecting the VIN, will it program the VIN I entered? or will it transfer the VIN from the IPC or KVM?

2. I could purchase a new CJB/BCM for a 2013. My question is this, if I plug it into my 2010, and attempt to start the car, will it auto program the 2010 vehicle VIN to it? I understand the car isn't going to start until I program the new module, but if it pulls the VIN in automatically, I then feel like I can use a random VIN from a 2013 to "gain" the new module into the system with the correct software loads.

3. I'm sure there are some differences internally, but since everything but the infotainment is 2010 LR4, would it be possible to flash the 2010 module with firmware for a 2013 and have it still function? (Yes I know this may be a guess, but I’m looking for advice)

Those are my three options for ways to solve my problem. I'm almost there! The system powers up, I can pair my phone and the satellite radio works too! I just need to get the Infotainment system to talk to the LR4 systems.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I've already swapped my instrument cluster for a 2013 one. (I flashed the eeprom, updating the VIN, security key and mileage so they match the 2010....and yes, I've started the car to make sure everything works).

Ok, I'm standing by! Please let me know so I can buy the new one if needed!!!

Thanks!
Tapps33,

If you are getting a new ****** BCM can you copy and post the ****** EEPROM of that BCM? I am having problems with my 2010 LR4 not seeing my KEY FOBS. It does not even work if I place my FOB next to the lines on the Steering Column. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72