becoming new 96' disco owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

godfearingjerk

ok so its basically sealed im getting a 96' disco with 60,000mi on it. now i know the repuatation of LRs and the tlc it needs and im ready to accept that responsibility. so just right off the bat (sorry if this has already been posted so many times) what should i look for in it when i first get it and or might need to replace and what maintenence should i do when i get it home. and finally im no car guru or expert and i know my way around a cars mechanics mildly at best (everyones gotta start somewhere) so im hoping i can count on this forum for any help i need or problems i encounter . ive always been a diy kind of guy when it comes to everything. so anyways mind my newbness and im happy to be a part of the forum now.
: ))))))) thanks

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats. Check all the fluids and see if you can't find any records on when the maintenance was done. Fluids are cheap and a good way to get to know your disco. I would change all of the fluid if you don't know the maintenance history.

Also, check to make sure your center diff lock shifts properly. Mine was seized and would not allow me to lock my '98, although I could shift to low.

Plug wires and new plugs sure made a difference in mine, with 94k. That should be enough to get you started. HTH

Last edited:
M

MightyMax

I just bought my 97 Disco 2 days ago. I spent a LOT of time researching to find the right Disco for me. I refused to buy one that wasn't local to my city (bought at a local LR dealer), I HAD to have all maintenance history from date of purchase right to the day i bought it, and it had to pass the LR inspection. If you are willing to, LR will inspect the vehicle for between $200-$400(can) depending on how in depth you want to go. This was the best spent money for me. Last but not least, the given, get the carfax report.

G

godfearingjerk

cool cool. thanks a lot . good things to consider. will do

G

godfearingjerk

also .. O2 sensors.. i know they need to be replaced around 60k miles which is what its at..do you think it be important to replace them or just check if theyre still good.. if just a check how do i go about checking them

M

MightyMax

I'm not the mechanic type at all and i'm VERY new to LR's but i've been reading up on the O2 sensors and this is what i've come across:

"Replace unheated oxygen sensors on 1976 to early 1990s vehicles every 30,000 - 50,000 miles Heated (1st generation) oxygen sensors on mid-1980s to mid-1990s vehicles every 60,000 miles Heated (2nd generation) oxygen sensors on mid-1990s and newer vehicles every 100,000 miles.

Keeping the OEM oxygen sensor fresh may improve fuel economy as much as 10%-15% (which can save $100 each year in fuel costs on average). Keeping the sensor in good operating condition will also minimize exhaust emissions, reduce the risk of costly damage to the catalytic converter and ensure peak engine performance (no surging or hesitating).

For these reasons, the oxygen sensor should be considered a "tune-up" replacement item just like spark plugs, especially on older vehicles (those built before the mid-1990s). "

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM