BG44K, and other additives?? how to best use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

kapaduch

Ok guys, its me again, still on my never ending quest to fix my misfire problems in my 00 disco II, and avoiding a valve job. So, like i've said, ive changed plugs, wires, oil, and now back to my dirty valve problem.( or atleast thats what ppl have told me) But the dealer said usually with really dirty vavles they will stick, and you will have a horribly rough idle. Well my idle is off just a tad, but not too bad, so im hoping i clean these valves enough to avoid the treacherous dealer priced valve job (3k). So i've tried the seafoam, and i thought it got better, but to no avail, and the car was acting up a couple days later again. So in my last attempt to clean the valves, i have bought a package from BG. It includes BG Air intake cleaner, BG Fuel injection system cleaner, and BG 44K advanced formula. It says add the BG44K to the tank, but i've heard it is much better to pour it through the induction, as with seafoam. So what i was wondering is if anyone is familiar with all 3 of these products, and the best way to go about tryin to clean my valves. i.e. what to add to my tank, and what to pour into the induction, and does anybody know where the air intake cleaner is added (it appears to be a spray can) does this also add to the induction??, ANy help would be greatly appreciated, as im beginning to think more and more that this will, as my other attempts have failed, and i will be forced to subdue to the dealer, and they will ofcourse overcharge the bejesus out of me, because for some reason they think everyone with a rover is loaded....they are sadly mistaken.
Thanks alot guys,
Kevin P.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kapaduch said:
It includes BG Air intake cleaner, BG Fuel injection system cleaner, and BG 44K advanced formula. It says add the BG44K to the tank, but i've heard it is much better to pour it through the induction, as with seafoam. So what i was wondering is if anyone is familiar with all 3 of these products, and the best way to go about tryin to clean my valves. i.e. what to add to my tank, and what to pour into the induction, and does anybody know where the air intake cleaner is added (it appears to be a spray can) does this also add to the induction??

I have used the BG44K. Great stuff. I have a (or used to have a leaky fuel injector). it seems to have done the trick.

I think you use the spray stuff by taking the air intake off from the air filter. spray it down the airway and you will clean off the MAF. If you open the plenum, you could probably use that stuff to clean of the throttle sensor inside! Someone correct me if I am wrong on how to use that stuff, but that would make sense to me.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that is the kind of stuff you want on the MAF. Unless it will evaporate cleanly and completely. Probably best to use it downstream of the MAF, and clean the MAF with something better suited for electronics. I think by intake, they mean intake, butterfly valvey thing, plenum, trumpets, intake manifold, and intake valves.

The TPS isn't reachable from the interior of the intake, is it?

Roverhound

Reaction score
I just did the Seafoam route on my 2000 d2 recently as a preventitive.
For intake cleaning I pulled the hose off the passenger side valve cover and poured it slowly in the hose.
Some people have said it may take a few treatments to clean it up. You might try it several times to see if this takes care of your problems.
Good Luck

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good.. another one converting off this Seafoam hype :)

BG44K goes in tank. Mind spills b/c this stuff will eat yer paint (and no i am not kidding :)).

Air induction cleaner - clean throttle plate and around it (just compress throttle linkage by hand, and use other hand to clean - watch to not leave residue or paper bits if you use paper towels. Then you can use it like you did with seafoam.

Dont spray anything on MAF if you not looking for excuse to get new one :)
If you feel like you need clean it - use some electrical no-deposit cleaner.

Advanced formula (MOA, right?) going into oil, after you changed it.

There is "quick engine flush" product from BG - if you gonna change oil - use that one. It cleans oil passages like you wont believe it. Last time i did mine - had 1K on oil, color of oil was just getting a bit darker from honey, and i needed to swap oil lines. So i ran this stuff through.. Outcome was darker than moonless night. And things looks much nicer since then. Of course me truck is older and badly neglected by P/O.

Now.

What dudes with motorvac procedure do is that they basically trying to bypass fuel adding portion and injecting bg44k right into system. And then sucking crap out with vaccuum thingy so removed deposits wont go and screw up your cats and exhaust in general.

D

discomike

As Sergei said, 44K in the tank ONLY use all the throttle body cleaner on the throttle body plate and the rest into the manifold, never on the MAFF. Make sure that after doing this, and it has set for a few minutes, wipe out the Throttle body plate and throat with a rag and reinstall the air intake hose and start up the engine. It will choke and gag, but it will start.
The Induction cleaner goes into the vaccum line and must be sucked into the line very slowly so as to not stall the engine. After sucking all the fluid through the lines, turn off the engine for 30 minutes and then go drive it with a vengence, should ba 30 or 40 miles at least and push it hard to make it keep down shifting which will help clean out the engine.
Good luck,
Mike J.

K

kapaduch

Ok, so just to get this right..
The air intake cleaner would best work in the air intake upstream from the MAF, i think mine is fine anyways, no point in trying to clean it and ending up breaking it.
The fuel injector cleaner goes in the tank.
The BG44K goes in the tank, Can I also use the BG44K advanced formula, down the induction line like the seafoam???, i just think that would work alot better.

Thats all i have, i've heard BG makes something specifiically to add to the induction, (induction cleaner) But i thought i heard that the BG44K down the induction works just as well, but is it safe?? what if i put half a can in the tank and only filled up half tank, and half the can down the induction??

Any ideas, suggestions?
Thanks,
Kevin P.

D

discomike

Kevin,
$$K in the gas tank, air spray can into the throttle body, do it even if you think it is all right cause it won't be. The last can goe into the induction cleaner through a vaccumn line.
That is why they sell it as a 3 pack to be used in that order only.
Mike J

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo