big problem, inspection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could it be a bad ecu? and the ecu just isnt reading the o2s? or something like that? if so where is te ecu located? is there a way to tell the ecu is good or bad? and if i were to replace the ecu, what do i need to know about replacing it,and if there is a special one i need to order for a 96 disco sd. ive also heard there was a half year model that was put out and the ecus may not be interchangeable. so basicly if i need a ecu what years are interchangeable or what do i look for to fix this?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
ECU is located on the passenger fender well near the firewall, but if you replace you have to go to a dealer or someone with the LR specific repair computer in order to make the ECU work.

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so its been 300 miles since i replaced the cats and o2s and its still reading not ready.any ideas?

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so its been 300 miles since i replaced the cats and o2s and its still reading not ready.any ideas?

W/P - Sorry for jumping in late, it's my understanding that the ECU has to relearn
operating parameters based on past running history vs. now.

The older vehicles such as ours (mine's '97) generally check emissions(the o2 sensors) @ idle & wide open throttle. not in the normal driving range of 1500-2500 rpm.

If I'm not having a senior moment, it stands to reason (if I'm correct) that the more you start, stop & idle, the faster the ECU will recognize the new normal.

Think of how screwed up it got b/4 the ECU said pissonit.

IMHO
I personally would drive it for a month then check your codes.

luck,greg

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, thats not good when yourer trying to inspect a veicle for the first time. haha. alright ill give it a month. then fire insurace and a fire. haha just kidding but thanks for the help

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, thats not good when yourer trying to inspect a veicle for the first time. haha. alright ill give it a month. then fire insurace and a fire. haha just kidding but thanks for the help

Understood

This is all based on the truck running well & the CEL light is not flashing (that's bad)

my wife's cousin sells insurance, for a fee I'd call him:biggrin:

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood

This is all based on the truck running well & the CEL light is not flashing (that's bad)

my wife's cousin sells insurance, for a fee I'd call him:biggrin:

tempting offer.
no cel light just the abs light stays on. what does the cel light indicate?

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was kidding about the insurance, the CEL or check engine light.

I thought yours was on based on your "not ready codes" for your o2 sensors & cats
I'm going to look back over thread & dig up something.

Are your o2's are 4-wire or 3-wire?

luck,greg

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's got to be an O2 connection or wire.

do a web search on O2 operation, I typed a description of the sequence after startup
and tried to put it into my last post, the forum told me I wasn't authorized (go figure)

Since I can't type, I'm going to rest now. (humor)
Reread my post to you on page one

And I'd be stunned if it turned out to be a bad ECU - I think the process of replacing them often masks the original problem (bad connection, bad ground, etc.)

Remember, don't mess with ECU until you disconnect the battery

luck,greg

Last edited:

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rove is leagal for the year. the o2 heater sensor set and it passed inspection yesterday. woo hoo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM