Blower motors not working at all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thumb6plyr

Reaction score
Hello to all, I finally have my first Range Rover, a 4.6 HSE 2001 Black on Black. Only thing is the a/c blowers do not work...I took out the cabin filters and there were alot of leaves in there, so I cleaned it out pretty well. I dont know which two relays to replace to see if that is the problem...I do have a text book emblem and the ! symbol. Can anyone point me to the right relays..I believe rl7 may6 be one of them...are there two? Thanks Jonathan The dashes light up as I turn the fan switch so I dont think it is the fan switch. Wouldnt it be unusual for both fan motors to be out? I bought this one like this yesterday

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
With the book on the dash, first thing you need to do is find a good Land Rover mechanic and find out what is wrong. This will require either the dealer (land rover) or a Land Rover specific repair shop.

Where are you located maybe we can point you to a good shop.

thumb6plyr

Reaction score
Hello, I found out where the two relays are, I just need to get new ones and see if that is it. If not I will take in to have it looked at. I am in Austin Tx. I have worked on BMWs for years, my own, and am not totally incompetent. But, zero experience with range rovers, and I have no manual yet. Its just hard for me to believe both blower motors would be out...I am hoping the leaves caused the relays to burn out. Looks like the subwoofer speakers are no good either and the cd player is not working right either...glad I did not buy one of these new and spend that kind of coin to have this much stuff wrong already. But, i have it now and really li8ke it. Side note, I had a 2000 expedition 4v4 with air bag suspension, never had a problem and I towed a large boat and cargo trailer for work daily...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Is motorcars ltd in Austin? They are a good Rover shop in TX and I think they have a couple of places there.

thumb6plyr

Reaction score
Thank you, I believe they are here. On the outside chance, I am going to pick up some new relays at the dealership along with new cabin filters. Then I will take it to a shop and see what they say. It looks like I am in need of Navigation cds as well. There are several on ebay, that are for 06, and 07 etc...Will these work in an 01? Also, the Rover has a reciever hitch, I have briefely looked for a wire connection for a trailer but have not located one yet. Do they come trailer wire ready with a reciever hitch, or is that something I will need to add? Thank you very much for your time.....Jonathan

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Again, don't buy parts at the dealer... see other post.

Nav, not sure I only do Garmin and for the price of the CD's you can buy a new Garmin.

Wiring for trailer... it is there, but will either require some soldering or buying the special plug from LR... I recommend some Soldering, as it will save you $$$.

IIRC it is located on the passenger side in the rear corner inside you should find the round 7 pin plug.

thumb6plyr

Reaction score
Ok I called motorcars ltd..he told me the relays at rover were beter than aftermkt..so I went there3 and bought two relays and two cabin filters...140.00.........A/c blowers still not working..I got home and pulled the pass side fan blower, hooked it up to a 12 volt battery and it fired up like a champ. So, passenger side blower works with direct current. New relays in fuse bos, fuse box looks good underneeth. Maybe its the fan switch...How do I get that out with out breaking something??

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a copy of the repair manual?

thumb6plyr

Reaction score
I sure dont Joey, I have tried to get one locally, but no one seems to have one. I did not ask the dealer. No telling what they would want for one, and i'm knee deep in the dash now. With confermation that the motor is not bad and new relays, I am thinking I will replace the fuses, even though they look good. Because the drivers side motor is not working either it really seems to be the switch or something else that supplys the power to both that must be the problem. One problem I am struggling with is, it seems like the switch should work at some speeds...Of course it does not. but being a variable speed switch it seems unlikely to me that the whole switch would go bad...still that may be the case. I hae no idea how much they are or how to get it out without damaging something..I've even toyed with wiring the fan up direct, with a switch, just short term. I really dont want to do that. I am searching the internet for a wiring schematic now...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM