Blower noise under passenger seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 HSE Lux; when the blower is on under the passenger seat (to warm toes of the rear right-hand passenger) there is an annoying noise like paper stuck in a blower motor. I tried poking around with a flashlight, but can't see anything.

Suggestions? How hard is it to access the blower to remove whatever is stuck in there?

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flapping noise making me crazy!

Bump: Hoping that someone can help me out with this one...

Now that it is nearing winter again and heaters are running, that flapping noise from under the passenger seat is making me crazy! I've poked around but can't see any easy way of getting into the blower.

It seems that probably the passenger seat must be removed. Any tips/tricks/suggestions much appreciated!

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this very same issue. Just noticed it this morning on a cold start up. It is loud and highly annoying. Dealer time I guess.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seats are typically only held in with 4 bolts. If you remove the bolts at each corner under the seat track trim, you can just tilt the seat back to inspect underneath.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upon investigation, my noise is coming from under the glove box. I know their is a blower under there so off the glove box will go.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upon investigation, my noise is coming from under the glove box. I know their is a blower under there so off the glove box will go.

Actually you can just swing the glovebox down and out of the way giving access to a large fuse panel plus the interior air filter. Hopefully just removing the air filter will give you access to the culprit.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blower Noise - SOLVED!

The seats are typically only held in with 4 bolts...

Thanks for the nudge...I just needed a little "it's not that tough" encouragement! Actually I had to completely remove the seat and partially lift the carpet, but it isn't that hard. One just needs to be careful gently pulling the trim pieces and all of the wiring connectors.

It turns out there is no blower under the seat, just a piece of duct running under the carpet coming from the center console. The noise was a couple of plastic cards in the duct (compliments of the prior owner). To dump the junk out I had to remove the duct, which required lifting the carpet (so had to remove the passenger seat and amplifier, plus a lot of trim). Once the seat and HK amplifier was removed, it was pretty easy to pull out the duct. Putting the duct back required removing the trim pieces around the passenger feet in order to access the duct joint buried near the shift lever.

In the process I vacuumed out a lot of dirt, as well as french fries, coins, and other debris (prior owner left a LOT of easter eggs for me to find - including keys to their storage unit!) I would say that I was reasonably efficient, and still it was about a 4..5 hour job, including about an hour of cleaning.

Now it is clean *and* quiet!

Once again, I'm (mostly) impressed with how well the LR4 is put together. Generous use of screws/bolts in the dash is nice to see. Where there are plastic clips, they are very strong (comparing to Toyota's I have torn into).

BTW: However, has anyone else noticed how just about every time you hit something really poorly engineered or infuriating in a Rover, it has Ford Mo Co logo? ...still (at least as of 2011 model year) leaving their "quality" mark.

Attachments

• Rover Duct.jpg
    Rover Duct.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 74

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not exactly what you hope to find, but good fix...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9