Brake Caliper Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming a brake caliper sticks, is there a way to adjust or repair it such that it won't stick? I was looking at the RoversNorth catalog and they sell the pistons for the caliper, but is this something that can be removed, cleaned, and reinstalled?

TIA,

Andy

D

discomike

Only if you have done it before and can measure and hone out the damaged caliper. Yes there are repair kits, there are also remanufactured and new one available.
Depending on the mileage on your truck, you will probably need to repalce 2 on the same axle to keep equal braking power.
You will also have to do a complet brake flush to get rid of all the burned fluid.
Mike J.

D

disco1

If you decide to change out the sticking caliper(due to rust), you may as well do the whole lot as the rest will probably follow shortly. I believe you can purchase stainless steel pistons which will last forever, but they are expensive.

D

discomike

Here again, that would depend on the mileage on the truck. If one fails at 30 to 40,000 miles only replace it, if one fails at 70,000 miles replace the pair. Assuming the brake fluid has been changed every 30 or 40,000 miles you shouldn't worry about all of them.
Mike J.

S

super_poser

I got a rebuilt one from Advance Auto or Autozone (can't remember). But I think it was $125.00.Much cheaper than anywhere else. I have never had very good luck rebuilding them and it is a real PIA. Charles

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9